Khalid Suncity Songs

Khalid’s New EP 'Suncity' Just Dropped And It Is Much Needed

My life is now much “Better."

83

In August 2016, when he was only 18 years old and had recently graduated high school, newcomer R & B singer Khalid gained national attention through his single, 'Location.' In March 2017, he dropped his first album, "American Teen." His fame grew quickly, and his singing career took off. Since the release of his widely-popular album, Khalid has been on tracks with Lorde, Post Malone, Logic, Billie Eilish, Marshmello, 6lack, Shawn Mendes, and many more. After playing "American Teen" an infinite number of times over the past year, I am thankful for the release of his new EP, "Suncity." With Khalid's soothing voice, emotional lyrics, and catchy vibe, "Suncity" is a must-listen.

1. 9.13

"The people of El Paso, Texas, proudly presents the key to the city to Khalid Donnel Robinson. Forever, from the city of the 915."

Khalid moved to El Paso a few years ago, and calls it home. He holds where he comes from close to his heart, because it's what made him who he is today.

2. Vertigo 

"Thought I loved you in the moment. I was happy, I was not. I've been learning, I've been growing..."

This song makes you feel like your heart is being broken into a million pieces, but like, in a good way. You know you're not where you're supposed to be right now, but you also know that you're strong enough to keep going.

3. Saturday Nights 

"I guess there's certain dreams that you gotta keep, 'cause they'll only know what you let them see."

Khalid sings about how he knows the girl more than her parents do, and her cares so much about her. This is a really good song to listen to when driving late at night, whether you're with someone or alone.

4. Salem’s Interlude 

"I think that I am a big mix of all the people around me, and I'm just happy, I can't complain about anything."

This song perfectly explains what a lot of us are going through. We're scared of making mistakes and making choices that push us away from our goals. 'Salem's Interlude' reminds us that it's okay to not be okay or to not know what we're doing. We just need to let things go how they're going and keep the people who make us feel good close.

5. Motion

"Honey, I forgot to mention I'm so entranced by you, it hurts."

This song makes you want to fall in love-- hard. It makes you want the simple things that come with love: holding hands, telling the person you love about your day, being content in each others' presence. It also makes you hopeful that you'll find that. You feel calm and patient. You don't feel rushed to find the love of your life today or tomorrow.

6. Better

"You say we're just friends, but I swear when nobody's around..."

"Better" follows in sync to "Motion," with both falling along the lines of "Nothing feels better than this." This song is about enjoying the moment and not worrying about the future. Life is short, and if something makes you happy, you shouldn't worry about the what ifs. This song makes you want to dance in a big flower field at sunset with someone who means something to you, even if that person isn't your "forever" person.

7. Suncity (feat. Empress Of)

"Llévame a ciudad del sol. Llévame, Llévame donde deje mi corazón."
(Take me to suncity. Take me, take me, where I leave my heart.)

After putting us in our feels for pretty much the whole EP, Khalid gives us a BOP. A bop IN SPANISH, to be exact. Who hasn't had the dream of running away with someone you love and driving at sunrise on a cliff along the coast? "Suncity" is the feeling of sunshine, but in a song.

I have listened to this EP so many times I can't count anymore. Khalid, thank you for "Suncity." Nothing feels better than this.