Kesha Teaches Us A Far Greater Lesson In 'Praying' Than You Have Realized

You have shown the world that no one should steal your happiness, and your story will forever inspire others.

83
Racked

"Praying" was written about that moment when the sun starts peeking through the darkest storm clouds, creating the most beautiful rainbow. Once you realize that you will in fact be OK, you want to spread love and healing. If you feel like someone has wronged you, get rid of that hate, because it will just create more negativity. One thing that has brought me great relief is praying for those people. Being angry and resentful will do nothing but increase your own stress and anxiety — and hate is the fuel that grows the viruses. Don't let anyone steal your happiness! -Kesha

A simple text message was all that it took. One of my best friends messaged me saying, "Have you heard the new Kesha song?" and I did not realize the profound impact that was about to be introduced into my life. The night that she texted me I stayed up all evening listening to "Praying," by Kesha, on repeat. Tears flooded from my eyes as I connected with every lyric she sang. Some of the tears were a reminder of the pain, some were a testament to how strong I have become, and some were a hope for a brighter future.

I find the timing of life to be impeccable, astounding, and particular. As I had wiped the tears from my eyes that night, I remembered about six months ago where I was. On January 3rd 2017, I was in the court room against the person who had assaulted me. On January 3rd, I had practically fallen on the floor when I encountered the presence of the perpetrator. On January 3rd, I shuddered in the arms of my loved ones as I tried to keep myself composed. On January 3rd, I drug myself into the hell just so I could have the opportunity to finish my education in peace.

On July 13th, 2017, I first listened to "Praying." On July 13th, I realized that six months had flown by from the time of trial. On July 13th, I realized that I completely forgotten each milestone-month that demonstrated how far I have come. On July 13th, I realized that I been able to loosen the perpetrator's grip on my whole life. On July 13th, I realized that I had not taken baby steps, but huge leaps of progress.

For some, six months does not seem like a big deal, but what does that time symbolize to me? Six months of taking care of myself and letting myself heal. Six months of getting over the nightmares I used to have every night. Six months of leaving the place that caused me so much pain. Six months of freeing myself from the monster shadowing my every move. Six months of letting go of the bitter hatred and hoping for peace.

So what does the realization have to do with Kesha's song? I not only feel the lyrics that she sang, but I can believe every word that comes from her mouth. I know the extreme pain she has felt by being forced to be in a place with someone that has hurt you so much. Can I say that I know exactly what Kesha dealt with? Do I know what it is like having to conflict between doing what she loves and putting herself directly in the place that hurts her the most? No, but I connect to her from a similar situation. I understand what it feels like to hit that lowest place. You know, the very bottom where you honestly believe you have nothing to lose? The place where you can finally start moving upward.

Kesha explains that she has been to that place, and I cannot applaud her enough for sharing that with the world. I think people often forget how much guts it takes to allow others to see you are struggling. Who wants to admit how much pain they have felt? Who wants to admit that they gave up on themselves? Who wants to admit that the things that once lit up their lives still cannot shake the sadness they feel? No one wants to admit those feelings, but that does not negate the fact that they are not real.

I think the bravest people are the ones who ask for help. The people who show when they are hurting instead of hiding the pain. One of the reasons why I admire Kesha so much is because you feel what she has been through just with her voice. When she sings, 'You brought the flames and you put me through hell, I had to learn how to fight for myself,' you are damn sure she is not exaggerating anything she has experienced. I am clapping for you, Kesha, because not many people will address those times, but you have.

Now although we have talked about Kesha's admittance to overcoming so much pain through her depression, I want to talk about what inspires me the most about the song: her ability to pray for the person who hurt her the most. While most people show bitterness and hostility to their perpetrators, Kesha steps back and prays for their healing. She illustrates that when you push through the turmoil and understand you are going to live through it, you can spread love and kindness too.

When she sings, 'I hope your soul is changing,' I connect with her the most. Because although painful instances have occurred in the past and people have hurt me, I always want to believe deep down that people have better hearts after all. Maybe people have to hurt me in order to understand how to not treat others in the future. Maybe I have always been the person to teach others that simple lesson. Maybe I am the person who is going to allow their souls to change. I want to believe that when Kesha produced the song that she had a similar feeling in her heart.

With that being said, I think we all can be inspired by Kesha because she has taught us a greater lesson: two wrongs do not make a right. The words sound simple, but when we look at the world, I think the lesson is often forgotten. I am not saying to forgive others and let them walk over us, but instead of reacting with hatred, act out of love. People are always going to hurt us, that is a part of life. However, we do not have to react the same in those situations because negativity only breeds negativity.

Thank you, Kesha, for bringing this beautiful and powerful ballad into my life as a reminder of how strong I have become. But I am even more grateful that you have shown the world that no one should steal your happiness, and your story will forever inspire others.