5 Tips For Keeping Yourself Together During Finals Week

How to remain stress-free in college.

287

This is it; it is the end of the semester. Coming back from Thanksgiving break can be an adjustment to get back in the swing of things but it has to be done. This is the most stressful time of the year. The key is to remain calm, take a deep breath, you can do this.

You may have a daily routine set for you so you can find room to fit all your classes and studying. But between homework, going to class, sleeping, eating and trying to have a social life, things can get pretty tough to balance, especially this time of year.

A lot of the time we have trouble remembering that your mental and physical help is above everything. And it is extremely easy to get stressed out. But have no fear, if you can fit some relaxing in between your school work, you're going to be a lot better off.

For more on these specific ways to de-stress, read on:

1. Sleep, sleep and sleep

It is important for college students to be getting seven to eight hours of sleep every night, according to Penn State University Health Center, sleeping will help recharge your body and will also help you retain information from your classes better. Yes, things can get hectic during the day and sometimes we all need a nap. If you have to do so, it is best not to take more than one 20-minute nap in a day; otherwise, you will be losing your possibility of a good night's rest.

2. Eat healthy

Yes, pizza and pasta are amazing but it's not good for you all the time. It is important to shop for healthy food and to get the right nutrients to help balance your diet. Fruit and vegetables will not hurt you! It is also important to stay hydrated with water or Gatorade, not just alcohol -- no matter how hard that may be to resist during this time of year. Eating fast food is OK a couple of times a month but it is vital that you do not eat anything but Big Macs. A good breakfast would be eggs, toast, a lean meat, and some coffee or juice. Try to resist snacking during the day, and if need be grab a granola bar or some fruit to get you to your next meal. For lunch and dinner, a chicken salad is optimal, but you can eat some sort of fish, or any type of meat, with some veggies on the side. If you eat healthily, you feel a lot better and be able to not feel even more worn down while studying.

3. Exercise!

There are so many ways to keep yourself in shape; you can run, walk, climb or lift weights and more! You should exercise around 20 minutes a day, according to the Mayo Clinic. You can just take a walk down the road and back or go for a bike ride. There are also plenty of things to do inside, such as using an elliptical or muscle building exercises. Even doing a couple of squats and push-ups a day will help you immensely. Also, a good way to relax is going to yoga. It will loosen your muscles and make them more flexible. Yoga is the perfect combo of relaxation and exercise. Doing any of this will help your mind and body and it will help you sleep better at night too.

4. Showering

I know what you're thinking, "does this really have to be on here?" Yes, it does. Between everything going on it almost seems impossible to do anything, but personal hygiene should be a top priority. Shower, brush your hair and brush your teeth. Your body will thank you, trust me. Plus, there is nothing like a bubble bath to let off some stress.

5. Stay social 

School should be the number one thing you are focused on while in college but it is not more important than your mental health. If you are extremely stressed out, it is OK to take a day off and just watch Netflix all day. Go out with your friends, join a club, read a book; do anything to help ease the worries of school. Call your mom, she still loves you and misses you more than you think. Even going to a dog shelter just to play with some animals can set your mind at ease. Your friends are going through the same thing as you, and misery loves company. You will get through this, you might just need a little help but everything is gonna be all right.

All of this will help you get through the hardest part of the semester or any time at that. Just remember that your mental health should stay above everything and give yourself a break from studying every once in a while. College is hard but your friends and family will make it easier. Just never stop working for your dream, it will all be worth it in the end.