Let's Please Normalize Holding Powerful People Accountable

There has been too much time of letting rich and powerful people think they are above the law.

20
pexels.com

Lately, we have been bombarded by people being accused of sexual assault: Harvey Winstien, The President, Cuba Gooding, Jr., R. Kelly, and that's just the beginning.

So many people are convinced people of their level of fame and fortune could never commit such an unspeakable act...

The thing is that this has been going on for centuries. The key difference between today and back in the day when sexual misconduct started is the rise of social media. Social media allows one person to have an audience of millions with just the click of a mouse or tap on an iPhone.

This one-too-many platform has helped survivors of these crimes to post about it or gain support. People who read these and have also been affected all come together to share relatable stories about their experiences.

This self-proclaimed platform has allowed for people to be held more accountable than ever before. It also allows the victims to band together to form campaigns that make people see their call to action.

Our #METOO movement is one of the first of this kind.

All these events have one thing in common, it includes men in a privileged situation. Whether this is in terms of money, power, fame, or social status, all these men need to be held accountable. We live in a world where accountability is recognized for its importance, except when it comes to protecting women.

Think because I'm a woman, I'm being dramatic?

2 words for you.

Stanford Swimmer.

Brock Turner had it all - an amazing college life, amazing swimming skills, and probably a wide array of females who love his status... what did he do with that? He violated an innocent girl who was drunk at a party.

Before you grill me in the comments about how it was her fault for getting too drunk, imagine it was you. Or even imagine if she was your mother, cousin, sister, or friend. It would be ENRAGING to find out some guy thought that she wasn't worthy or respected enough to ask to consent.

SO many women have stories very similar to her but aren't willing to come forward.

I suggest next time you see something about sexual misconduct, take it seriously and take it as a call to action - a call to action to encourage men in your life to be held accountable and hold each other accountable.

If you don't, one day when something similar happens close to home, your only wish will be you'll wish you had tried to help sooner.