Keep Moving Forward: A Retrospect On 'RWBY' One Year After The Loss Of Monty Oum

After the most tragic of circumstances, no one could have ever imagined the magnitude of "RWBY Volume 3" and the endearing strength of Rooster Teeth.

258

Even though chances are you felt the need to click on this article due to the popularity of the show in the title, chances are you may not know what exactly "RWBY" is. "RWBY" is an American-Anime web-series telling the tall tale of bright-eyed protagonist Ruby Rose, and her three teammates as they study to become powerful Huntresses at the prestigious Beacon Academy, so they can go on to protect their world Four Kingdoms from the menacing creatures known as "Grimm," as well as those who may wish to cause anarchy for their own personal gain. "RWBY" was created by the talented animator Monty Oum, and is owned by the Texas-based company Rooster Teeth, a gaming website and YouTube channel that have brought fans other fun, gamer-happy shows such as "Achievement Hunter" and "Red vs. Blue." Even with these highly popular shows under their belt, "RWBY"seemingly exploded into popularity with their fans and fellow anime fanatics since its first premiere on July 18, 2013, with millions of fans constantly on the edges of their seats even though the majority of episodes are less than 20 minutes long at most. The 3-D stop-motion series even garnered attention from overseas, soon becoming the first American anime to be exported and dubbed in Japan in late 2014.

But while the future for 2015 seemed bright, production on the show came grinding to a startling halt at the end of January when "RWBY"'s beloved creator suffered from an allergic reaction during a medical procedure and lapsed into a coma shortly after. As soon as the news of Oum's hospitalization was announced, RWBY and Rooster Teeth fans from around the world banded together and created a GoFundMe page for the animator and his recent bride, cosplayer Sheena Duquette in order to help with hospital bills, earning their goal of $50,000 three hour after the page was created and earning more than $100,000 in 24 hours from fans wishing their creator a speedy recovery. Tragically, a few days later, Rooster Teeth CEO Matt Hullum made the announcement on the company's website that Monty Oum had passed away on February, 1, 2015 due to complications from his allergic reaction at the tender age of 33. While the news was immensely devastating for the staff at Rooster Teeth as well as their millions of fans, what stayed with the fans the most was what Hullum asked for them all to do to commemorate Oum's memory. In his post, Hullum wrote: "In lieu of flowers or gifts, we ask that you simply do something creative. Use your imagination to make the world a better place in any way that you can. If you know Monty like we do, then you know he would certainly be doing that if he were able to".

Though the encouraging words seemed to perfectly personify how Monty Oum's legacy should be remembered, fans still couldn't help but anxiously wonder whether Rooster Teeth themselves would be able to keep Oum's precious project going and continue with their work on RWBY. While the question was difficult for the gaming company to ponder, as those who worked with the animator were immensely shaken over his sudden passing, Gray Haddock, Head of the Rooster Teeth Animation Team and voice of "RWBY"'s main antagonist Roman Torchwick, announced two weeks later that production on RWBY: Volume 3 would continue, with fresh-faced show writers Miles Luna and Kerry Shawcross taking on writing duties for the show, and Monty's older brother Neath Oum graciously filling in as the voice of Monty's character Lie Ren.

When Rooster Teeth finally released Volume 3, fans were obviously excited, but also worried. Not only about how well the season would hold true to Oum's vision, but also what the future of "RWBY" may bring, if there even was one on the horizon. Thankfully, one year after we lost one of the biggest visionaries in animation of the 21st century, Rooster Teeth have kept their promise with their fallen comrade and kept moving forward, making their show expand to multiple outlets and bringing us the best season of "RWBY"to date.

To understand the magnitude of Volume 3, you have to look back at the carefree and energetic nature of the first two volumes. As it turns out, instead of making the childlike, yet action packed appeal of the first two seasons the basic formula of the entire series, the writers of the show have explained that the first two seasons were actually just introductions to the many heroes, villains, and ground rules of the "RWBY"universe.

With Volume 3, it starts out much like the first two seasons, with Ruby and the gang representing their beloved Beacon in the prestigious Vytal Festival (which is basically the Tri-Wizard Tournament of "RWBY" for any Harry Potter fans out there). Right off the bat, some minor hijinks ensue and we get to meet even more unique and lovable characters. But when they make that darker turn a little later, boy does it get dark, and while you want to root for your favorite characters to make it out safe, you're also left wondering what the malevolent Cinder Fall (voiced wonderfully by veteran cosplayer Jessica Nigri), has up her sleeve and how it will change the lives of these characters forever. Both terrifying and compelling, the hard work of Luna, Shawcross, and the amazing Animation team at Rooster Teeth have made some of the best drama in web series history, with some startling twists accompanied by fast-paced battles and a rabbit hole of conspiracies, without their audience having any clue what's going to happen next.

Not only is the "RWBY" universe growing within the show and within the fanbases, but thanks to the show's popularity, Rooster Teeth has brought their show to the gaming masses with the release of "RWBY: Grimm Eclipse", a four-player co-op game taking place in the "RWBY" universe. The game was released on Steam on Early Access on December 1, 2015, shortly becoming one of the top games on the site, selling better than games like "Grand Theft Auto" and "Fallout 4" during its release.

When looking back at the tragic passing of Monty Oum and the effect it hand on those around him as well as those who respected his work, the Rooster Teeth could have totally scrapped RWBY and their fandom would have completely understood. After all, while we only knew him as a talented animator, Monty was their friend, someone who was loved by everyone he came across and was one of the core member in all of Rooster Teeth. But instead, they kept moving forward, not only keeping the legacy of their fallen friend alive, but bringing his precious project and dreams to new heights that no one could have seen coming. What the Rooster Teeth Animation Department have accomplished after such a difficult year is absolutely inspiring, and there is no doubt that Monty would be overjoyed to see how strong his project has become as a production, as well as a team effort. Even after such a tremendous loss, Rooster Teeth was able to pick themselves up and get back to work, not for themselves, but for their good friend as well as for their supportive fans.

You may not be into "RWBY," you may not have even watched a single Rooster Teeth video in your life and don't plan on doing you, but you have to admit that what these men and women accomplished in the past year is 100% brave, astonishing, inspiring, and truly deserves our recognition. With Volume 3 coming to a close, "RWBY" has grown from a harmless web-series to an animated juggernaut, and I as a fan couldn't be more excited for what's the future holds for this special little show.

As for Rooster Teeth, "RWBY" fans, RT fans and the amazingly brave family and friends of Monty Oum,

Keep Moving Forward