I Believe You, Dr. Ford

I Believe You, Dr. Ford

We don't silence survivors.

102
https://www.flickr.com/photos/ninian_reid/44059343665/in/photolist-28qKNwh-2buPyp4-PjNRRq-PonTrW-2a8nDSi-2aqqtDd-2bvXDkK-ML2L5z-2aqe3oW-2bvJR9R-MKLwKt-2apmJYf
Ninian Reed//Flickr

Think you're having a tough week, or year? Try being the United States.

For the past couple of weeks, I think most of us have been following the nonsense who is Kavanaugh. And as a woman in this country, I think that it's disheartening to see our country fall into such callous hands so quickly. We very clearly have a hierarchy issue in this country.

I've heard the term the Old Boy's Club so many times, but more so of in the sense of Hollywood being in our own backyard here in LA. However, American politics are pretty much the same thing; the White House has become very similar to a tree house club with a big sign that says "GIRLS KEEP OUT." Essentially, corrupt power attracts corrupt power. It's a cycle and we're desensitized.

I think that there is a lot of sentiment in solidarity, and I for one believe every single thing that comes from the heart of a righteous and courageous individual. Not a member of the Old Boy's Club.

What we teach our daughters and sons by not calling things out like we see them is a travesty. We remind them that your moral compass lies with what's between your legs and not in empathy and justice. By not emphasizing what is clearly right versus wrong it is reaffirmed that it is okay to treat women of all ages and all races like second-class citizens. Doing the right thing is hardly black and white. It's often gray and complex. And it's never easy.

We often silence the things, the situations, and the people we do not want to hear. We are afraid to fix our problems because we are too afraid of what will happen when we invite conflict into the room. More often than not, we silence what we fear.

And as a country, as of late, we fear honesty. We fear transparency.

Dr. Ford serves as a symbol to our society that what is not easy is most definitely worth it. She's a hero. She is someone who stood under fire and sat in the hot seat with such grace and dignity --even after she had been scrutinized so heavily. How still and brave she remained under pressure in juxtaposition to the man in power. Corrupt men in power do not deserve special treatment when they have used the rest of the world as a stepping stool to reach their crown.

It is not easy to understand how someone feels unless you have been in that situation; a man should never tell a woman what it is like to walk in her shoes.

An oppressor should never tell the oppressed what it is like to be them.

And as for me, I believe her.