Kate Spade and Mental Health Awareness
Health Wellness

4 Things Kate Spade's suicide teaches us about the importance of mental health awareness

The mental health Stigma is dangerous, and it needs to be talked about.

256
https://www.flickr.com/photos/ralphandjenny/2251901403
Flickr Creative Commons

Kate Spade shockingly committed suicide, surprising her family, friends, and fans. We can all learn a lot about mental illness by what happened to Kate.

1. Sometimes there are no apparent "warnings"

Sometimes suicide victims, and ones who are thinking of attempting suicide, don't hint or express that they have a plan or how they are feeling.

2. Celebrities have struggles just like we all do

Some, unfortunately, like Kate Spade's, are struggles that nobody should have to live with.

3. We need to start talking about suicide

Suicide is an uncomfortable and upsetting thing to talk about. Unfortunately, if we do not start talking about it more, there will be more and more suicide acts.

4. Untreated mental illness can be dangerous

If you or someone you know is in need of psychological care, don't feel pressure by the stigma of mental illness. You're not crazy or weak for needing mental health help.

If you are in CRISIS or need someone to talk to call the National Suicide Prevention Lifeline at 1-800-273-TALK (8255) or contact the Crisis Text Line by texting TALK to 741-741.