'Justice League' Trailer Highlights From A Superfan

With so many things to get excited about, what about the DCEU's upcoming film is truly worth writing home about?

29
Justice League

San Diego Comic Con has come and gone. In its wake are legions of fans are still salivating, myself included. Whovians learned that everyone’s favorite timelord will be portrayed by Jodie Whittaker. Hall H hosted dozens of amazing panels, offering attendees news of shows still to come or some already streaming past seasons on Netflix. Previews of hotly anticipated films often are shown to the Comic Con’s lucky attendants. Not all trailers will be immediately released online, sadly, so we just have to read spoiler-laden reviews from con-goers. On the other hand, plenty of trailers do find their way online and it’s these geek-god gifts that provoke the loudest “squees.”

Immediately upon its release, I watched - nay, devoured - the latest preview of Detective Comics’ preeminent team's impending cinematic debut. I wept. I squeed. I wept and squeed, multiple times, too. The nearly four minutes of footage was absolutely amazing. From start to finish I was on the edge of my seat. Countless are the items I'd like to talk about. For brevity's sake, I'll merely lay down what I thought were the trailer's highlights.

A world without hope

One of the first things I noted after my first viewing was the continued absence of the Last Son of Krypton. Superman met his demise in “Batman v Superman: Dawn of Justice,” (BvS:DOJ) but his return is imminent. He's in the promotional material, so the question is really how and when he'll return from the dead. It’s all a question of when and how. Leaving Superman out of the trailer was a smart move. I hope the first anyone sees of him is when watching the film for the first time. After all, it can be argued that the trailers for BvS:DOJ ruined the film. When everyone saw Doomsday, there was no question that Superman was surely going to die. I still loved “Dawn of Justice,” but the trailer left little to the imagination.

There are Lanterns, just not on Earth

As if Steppenwolf’s entrance via the Mother Box initiated Boom Tube wasn’t cool enough, the trailer serves up the Apokoliptian’s voice saying that Earth has "no Lanterns" protecting it. Not a positive thing for the in-film Earth, but this bodes well for fans. The Green Lanterns’ existence and status as protectors are assured. Not only is their inclusion forthcoming, that one of DC’s New Gods is pleased by their absence indicates that they are a definite force with which to be reckoned. This revelation is almost sweet enough to erase the bad taste left over by the Ryan Reynold's "Green Lantern" fiasco.

Improvements of VFX

In BvS:DOJ, Aquaman visibly held his breath, but now we see Mr. Curry at ease within his watery domain. His nostrils flair in a huff, and his face appears at east. Additionally, his hair flows with an appeal that would make Fabio jealous. Then there's Cyborg, whose rougher CGI body was a polygonal nightmare, but now looks far more polished and believable.

Notable levity present

“Suicide Squad” being the most notable exception, the developing DCEU received criticism for its apparent lack of levity and humor. “Justice League” appears intent on changing that on several fronts. After his fellow Leaguers abruptly vanish from Jim Gordon’s rooftop, the Flash jokingly, in an almost Michelle Tanner fashion, denounces them as rude before then himself abruptly departing in a…well…a flash. Aquaman seems poised to make a splash with his bad boy aura. With his snarky demeanor established in BvS:DOJ, Alfred looks positioned to continue delivering brilliant one liners. Aware that the film is quite a bit longer than a four-minute trailer, I think we can expect more reasons to laugh than what DC’s films have offered us in the recent past.

Fleshing out the world of DC

Steppenwolf’s single handedly assured us that the Green Lantern Corps. exists in the DC cinematic continuity, something we knew already, but it's good to have it confirmed in a movie. Alfred further contributes to DC world building via his reminiscing about “exploding wind-up penguins,” an obvious reference to a certain individual named Oswald Cobblepot. Broadening the DC reality further is the film's red skies, a nod to the “Crisis On Infinite Earths.” This storyline that deals with the DC comics’ multiverses. This sparks the question, are the red skies in this trailer an indication that the DCEU intends to explore the multiverse?

"He said you'd come"

So many possibilities, but just who is Alfred talking to at the trailer’s conclusion? Superman? A Green Lantern? Nightwing? Yeah, I’m just reaching with that last guess, but when that question finally receives an answer, I expect to squee like I’ve never squeed before.

Only four minutes long...

…and the points worthy of discussion are endless. What stood out to you? Care to point out something I either missed or simply did not mention? Believe me, my original notes concerning the trailer filled up a few pages of my notebook. I narrowed it down to my favorite highlights, and I’d love to hear your take on the latest “Justice League” trailer.