8 Ways College Is Not The Same As High School

Jumping into adulthood here.

5
College-Bound consulting inc.

As a freshman in college, the only "finals" I have come a crossed before this semester were multiple choice questions on mundane chapters from subjects I'll never remember and short essay questions asking for opinionated answers. As finals week approaches and so does the closing of this semester, there are a few things I would like to share about this semester that I have learned differentiate from my high schools years.

1. High school is not college.

I really couldn't stress this enough. All my high school teachers kept telling me they were preparing me for college and ,while some did, I have learned they were not. College is both a lot simpler than what they kept telling me every year, but it is also a lot harder. Classes get canceled last minute, attendance isn't always required, professors give extra credit for filling out the class evaluation. On the other end of that though, professors assign lengthy papers that will be due in two days, you might have your midterm exam a month after midterms occur, and studying is required (surprising right?).

2. Professors

Teachers are no longer teachers, they are professors. These people have spent years studying in their field and still do it today. They are the same people that will probably going on long tangents about something completely unrelated to what they are supposed to be teaching that day... for the entire class period. This doesn't mean they don't know what they're doing. Just go with it, both of you need that hour break. Oh, and if you think high school teachers are bad about grading... My gosh... I still don't have a grade for one class! and it's finals week!

3. Email

OK, this one I am not just saying as a student. I'm also saying this as a public relations major. Email is LIFE! I check it every hour, probably twice an hour. Especially in the morning and at night because classes get canceled, remember? Don't learn the hard way, especially if you commute. Check it, use it, live it, breathe it. Especially if you have connections to keep up with, or jobs and internships to check up on.

4. Classes

Classes can be so lenient, but also so strict at the same time. If you think high school teachers were cool, you should meet the professors. Attendance isn't mandatory, some teachers give you weeks to write papers, exams can be open book, some exams allow reference sheets which are super helpful, and simple extra credit assignments can be a big thing. However, some classes require attendance and your grade will suffer lots of points if you do not attend, you might not get a study guide for exams, papers may not have grading rubrics to follow, and you might not get grades back all semester, so who knows if you're failing or not. Oh, and if your phone is out for one second, you could be kicked out of class.

5. Classmates

So coming from a commuter college I don't get too many chances to hang out with people in my classes. However, this has not stopped me from meeting great people, with actual ambitions, and who are always ready to cheer you on, with anything! (One of my classes cheered on a guy who matched his shirt to his shoes.) It is so great and refreshing to meet so many new people who have life ambitions and goals for college and outside of college. Although there are those few people in high school who strive to succeed and do great, the majority just get by because they have to... In college, the majority are the ones striving for something and I love it.

6. Majors

You know, that one thing you need to figure out for college, that one big thing you need to know. That one. Majors are your stepping stone into the real world. They help decide what you will study, what jobs you'll have in the future, and what your future will look like. A lot of people I have met don't know their majors and it's scary. It's not like high school, where you're forced to take classes you'll probably never need again in life. Majors tell you what you need to study, and what you'll need to know for your future job career. It's pretty scary and a lot of pressure.

7. Networking + Internship = Future

A simple equation that I've learned and lived by all year as a public relations major. Where ever you go, network, network, network and network and then network some more (for good measure). High school only requires you to acknowledge you classmates and teachers, and then never talk again after graduation. College is a lot different. With how many people there are in your school alone going for the same major as you, you need to know people and you need to stand out. Which is where internships come into play. Internships give you real work experience, real connections, and a great update to your resume. Which is something you will definitely need in college (just so you know)! All of this adds up and totals into a great future full of options after college graduation.

8. Experiences

College brings so many great experiences. As a freshman, I've already become a part of a nationally chartered organization for my major, attended a national conference, became a campus ambassador for an intern website (Internqueen.com), became an EIC for a great writing company and website (you're on it right now), and so much more. It's amazing that all of these things have been so helpful and beneficial and they are all things I can put on my resume.

Although there are points where I miss high school and everything I did there and the people I met, college is something so completely different and terrifying, but so invigorating. Every class, professors, classmate, experience, and so on, has been so new and unique.

Now I just have to get through finals week.