"Just Be Yourself" Might Not Always Be Easy, But It's The Best Decision You Can Make

I may not always love the way I look, but I love the person I am.

149
Addison Sepulveda-Nichols

"Just be yourself". We hear this our whole lives starting at a young age. However, how many of us truly act like ourselves in our everyday lives? I would venture to say not many of us do. The reason? As many of us are told that we are perfect just the way we are, that is not always the case with others around us. We may be too nerdy, too proper, or even just too much. Now, I'm not pretending that I have never been like this. Gather 'round, you guys, because Ranger Babe is about to spin you a yarn.

I'm into a lot of things that are not the norm. Okay, yes, I love dogs, Starbucks, and chocolate. Those are pretty standard girl things to like. However, I am also into Pokemon, anime, and Cards Against Humanity. I'm also the type of person that will go out of their way to give compliments to strangers, which also seems really taboo. I'm loud, and that includes my laughter. The way I see it, I'm not too incredibly strange. I like what I like, and that's just who I am.

I haven't always been like this. For the longest time, I have tried to be a people pleaser. As much as I wanted to talk about my love of anime, I didn't. People in school thought people that watched that were freaks, so I thought everyone else would think the same. Now there are some people that take it over the top, but isn't that with everything? I even dated a guy that told me that if I mentioned that I liked Pokemon to anyone while he was around, he wouldn't have it. Let's just say that didn't last long.

But it's not just nerdy stuff that gets you judged. Being kind to people typically gets odd looks, too. Many ask why I go out of my way to compliment people and write notes like "You made this night great, thank you!" on restaurant receipts. When I was in seventh grade, I had an elementary school teacher that gave us Manner Lessons every Friday.

I remember one day in particular where he told us to compliment others, even if you didn't know them. "After all, you never know when someone is having a bad day and needs some kind words," he said. That stuck with me ever since, so I give countless people compliments every week. You'd think that would always be great for everyone involved, and sometimes it is. I can really tell when people's days are made by a nice gesture. That being said, I also get some very strange looks. Some think my compliments are just sly ways of making insults.

For a long time, I didn't make my likes public and mannerisms. I was quiet, made my peer's likes my own, and kept my thoughts to myself. I would be happy some days, but a lot of time I hated that I had no one to be myself around. When I got into college, I was shocked to realize that there was such a diverse group of people as opposed to the small town I grew up in. I began to blossom into the me I wanted to be. I met people that I could be loud and laugh around, people that either watched anime and played video games with me or did not judge me for it.

Ever since then, I've learned something really valuable... Those that are around you in all of your uniqueness and still stick around are those that are worth the friendship. Who cares about those that don't like you for who you are? You don't have to associate with them. Now I realize this is easier said than done. A lot of people are judgmental, even to kindness. I have often wondered why this is, and the thought I always come back to is confidence.

I may not always love the way I look, but I love the person I am. Sure, I still get strange looks, but more often than not I get more people saying that they wish they could be themselves more like I do. The difference between my high school and college years is that I felt as though I was an outcast in high school.

As a result, I wasn't confident in who I was. Now that I surround myself with people that are like me, I don't have to pretend. I can be the best version of myself because let's face it... My group of friends is pretty awesome. I always enjoy meeting new people and making new friends, but at the same time, I will not go out of my way to change myself to make people like me more. I used to, but not anymore.

So...Will people always love you for just being yourself? No, not all the time. It sucks because your likes can sometimes get your feelings hurt by others that frankly have nothing better to do other than to hate. But there is no other you out there, so be the best you out there. Don't let others get to you, because being yourself will draw in people that not only share your interests but also enhance them. And honestly, what's better than Starbucks and Pokemon? Not much, but that's just me.

Wander on,

Ranger Babe