Judaism, Christianity, And Islam: One

Judaism, Christianity, And Islam: One

One Belief

138
Judaism, Christianity, And Islam: One
About Islam

The Middle East is home to many conflicts in today’s world over issues as: land, religion, and historical disputes. The Middle East region includes: Yemen, Saudi Arabia, Jordan, Israel, Lebanon, Syria, Turkey, Georgia, Armenia, Azerbaijan, Iraq, Iran, United Arab Emirates, Qatar, Bahrain, Gaza Strip, West Bank, Kuwait, and Oman. The majority of the countries, 89 percent, are predominantly Muslim. Israel is the only predominantly Jewish nation, and the remaining nations; Armenia and Georgia, are Christian nations (CIA World Factbook). The internal conflicts in this region are mostly over the State of Israel, which is the holiest land for Christians and Jews, and one of the holiest places for Muslims. Jews and Muslims have been warring for over a thousand years, both believing that the land was promised to them by their God, Elohim or Yahweh for the Jews, and Allah for the Muslims, through a man named Abraham. They all worship the same God and they all have the same origin. Therefore, they should come together and celebrate their similar central beliefs without losing what makes them different. Thus creating peace and harmony in the Middle East. All three religions believe that there is one creator and His name is God. They all also believe that God chose Abraham to be the father of God’s people. They all believe that both sons were blessed by God to father their own nations. Lastly they all believe in loving and doing good things to others including their enemies.

Abraham’s wife’s barrenness contributed to the birth of two sons. Thus causing a division between God’s people. Muslims believe that Abraham’s son Ishmael is the promised son. Jews and Christians believe that Isaac is the son of promise. Jews, Christians, and Muslims read different Holy Scriptures that they use as a guide to live righteously, and also as the history of their beliefs. The Tanakh, the holy scriptures of Judaism, is divided into three parts: Torah, Nevi'im, and Ketuvim. The Torah is the history, law, and the teachings of Judaism, the Nevi’im translates into the “prophets”, third division is the Ketuvim, the writings. The Holy Bible in Christianity is divided into two sections: the Old and New Testaments. The Old Testament is the same as the Jewish Tanakh, whereas the New Testament contains; the birth, gospel, death, and resurrection of Jesus, the spreading of Christianity, and the apocalyptic ending of the world. The Qur'an is the main holy text in Islam. Muslims believe that the Qur’an is the word of God, or Allah in Arabic, that was given to the Prophet Muhammad by the angel, Gabriel (What is the Qu’ran?).

The three religions all believe there is only one God. They believe that He is the creator of the heavens, the earth, the oceans, and every living thing they encompass. They also believe that He is omniscient and omnipotent. The Quran states, “Allah - there is no deity except Him, the Ever-Living, the Sustainer of [all] existence…” (Sahih International Surat Al-Baqarah 2.255). It also states, “...Allah is All-Knowing, All-Powerful” (Yusuf Ali Sūrat l-naḥl 16.70). The Tanakh reads, “...’An idol has no real existence in the world, and there is only one God’” (Complete Jewish Bible 1 Corinthians 8.4). It also reads, “...God, the Creator of everything” (CJB Ephesians 3.9). Finally it reads, “...God is greater than our hearts, and he knows everything” and “For the Kingdom of God is not a matter of words but of power” (CJB 1 John 3.20 and 1 Corinthians 4.20). The Christian Bible, New King James Version, states, “yet for us there is one God, the Father, of whom are all things, and we for Him…” (NKJV 1 Corinthians 8.6). It is also written, “‘You are worthy, O Lord, To receive glory and honor and power; For You created all things, And by Your will they exist and were created.’” (NKJV Revelations 4.11). Lastly it’s written, “...’Alleluia! For the Lord God Omnipotent reigns!’” and “...’God is greater than our heart, and knows all things.” (NKJV Revelations 19.6 and 1 John 3.20).

All three religions believe that their God is the God of Abraham, and Abraham fathered Isaac, and Ishmael. They also believe that Abraham is the father of many nations, and they are his descendants. According to the Qur'an, Muslims worship the God of Abraham and his two oldest sons, “...‘We will worship your God and the God of your fathers, Abraham and Ishmael and Isaac - one God. And we are Muslims [in submission] to Him.’” (Surat Al-Baqarah 2. 133). The Qur’an also says, “And We bestowed on him Isaac and Jacob, and We established the prophethood and the Scripture among his seed, and We gave him his reward in the world…” (Picktall Surat Al-`Ankabūt 29.27). The Jewish Torah states, “‘I am the God of Avraham...” (CJB Matthew 21.32). Secondly it states, “ The sons of Avraham: Yitz’chak and Yishma‘el” (1 Chronicles 1.28). It also reads, “‘...I have appointed you to be a father to many nations...’” (CJB Romans 4.17). It is also written, “...’What is to be called your ‘seed’ will be in Yitz’chak’” (CJB Roman 9.7). The NKJV of the Christian Bible states, “The sons of Abraham were Isaac and Ishmael” (NKJV 1 Chronicles 1.28). It also states, “He became the father of many nations” (NKJV Romans 4.18). The NKJV says, “Nor are they all children because they are the seed of Abraham; but, “In Isaac your seed shall be called’” (NKJV Romans 9.7).

These religions all believe that both Isaac and Ishmael were blessed by God. They also believe that they are the fulfillment of God’s promise to Abraham. Muslims believe that both Isaac and Ishmael were prophets, but that Ishmael was the promised child. In the Qur’an it reads, “…’ We gave him Isaac and Jacob, and each [of them] We made a prophet” (SI Surat Maryam 19.49). It also reads, “…’Ishmael. Indeed, he was true to his promise, and he was a messenger and a prophet.” (SI Surat Maryam 19.54). Lastly it writes, “‘Or do you say that Abraham and Ishmael and Isaac and Jacob and the Descendants were Jews or Christians? Say, "Are you more knowing or is Allah…’” (SI Surat 2.140). It is also written, “ The CJB reads, “‘But as for Yishma’el, I have heard you. I have blessed him...’” (CJB Genesis 17.20). It also states, “‘ But I will establish my covenant with Yitz’chak...’” (CJB Genesis 17.21). It lastly states, “‘You are the sons of the prophets; and you are included in the covenant which God made with our fathers when he said to Avraham...’” (CJB Acts 3.25). The NKJV quotes God as saying, “...’Abraham, ‘And in your seed all the families of the earth shall be blessed.’” (NKJV Acts 3.25). It also reads, “Yet I will also make a nation of the son of the bondwoman, because he is your seed” (Genesis 21.13). Christians aren’t direct descendants of Abraham, so they believe they were made heirs to the promise by accepting Christ. It is written in the NKJV, “And if you are Christ’s, then you are Abraham’s seed, and heirs according to the promise” (NKJV Galatians 3.29). It also states, “that the promise might be sure to all the seed, not only to those who are of the law, but also to those who are of the faith of Abraham” (NKJV Romans 4.16).

If the beliefs of these religions are true then they are all descendants of Abraham. That means they are related through bloodline and the mercies of their God. Each religion teaches the importance of love, brotherhood, and a strong family unit. True Muslims believe in giving to everyone. The Qur’an reads, “righteousness is [in] one who believes in Allah , the Last Day, the angels, the Book, and the prophets and gives wealth, in spite of love for it, to relatives, orphans, the needy, the traveler, those who ask [for help], and for freeing slaves…” (SI Surat Al-Baqarah 2.177). Jews and Christians even believe that they should love their enemies. The Jewish bible reads, “‘Love your enemies! Do good to those who hate you’” (CJB Luke 6.27) In the Christian bible Christ says, “But I say to you, love your enemies, bless those who curse you, do good to those who hate you, and pray for those who spitefully use you and persecute you” (NKJV 5.44). According to Leviticus in chapter 19, verse 12, “Don’t take vengeance on or bear a grudge against any of your people; rather, love your neighbor as yourself…” (CJB Leviticus 19.12). In the book of Mark, Jesus quotes a scripture from the Old Testament, and says the greatest commandment is to love your neighbor, “And the second, like it, is this: ‘You shall love your neighbor as yourself. There is no other commandment greater than these” (NKJV Mark 12.31). The conflict in the Middle East and the increase in the number and members of extremist groups has caused all three religious beliefs to be distorted. It is this distortion that has cause the separation and conflict to increase in not only the middle east but also many other countries around the world. If the members of each religion took the time to learn about the true beliefs and original teaching of the opposing religions then they could agree on the basis of each religion and introduce peace into a world of conflict. There are four major basic beliefs of all three religions. They all believe there is one creator, and His name is God in every language. They believe He is the god of Abraham, and that Abraham fathered Ishmael and Isaac. In all three religions it is believed that Isaac and Ishmael were blessed, and that they would have their own nations. Lastly all three religions believe that they should love and care for one another, and that includes their enemies. With these basic beliefs in mind these religions can come together and acknowledge their similarities, but not let go of their differences. They can come together, have a peace summit, and teach their children their history and to love everyone. This in turn can lessen the extremists’ growth and could eventually create a new nation consisting of Jew, Muslims, and Christians. In conclusion love, knowledge, history, and acceptance can bring an end to a seemingly never ending war.