When New Journals Seek Long-Term Relationships

They aren't searching for you through Craigslist, but they're out there waiting for your world of words.

249
Unsplash

As a writer of both fiction and non-fiction, I love analogies. The following analogy may seem as though I'm "reaching," but the idea spawned to create an analogy or a little scenario (with a play on topics and words) in my mind when I ran across the following picture that I'd seen many times before:

Before I go into why a blank book is seeking a "relationship" or "partnership" and what that may have to do with you, let me ask you: What are the contents of a "Personal" advertisement -- you know, something you'd find in the Classifieds section of a paper or online system?

Here's a nice little example for you below that gives blanks to fill in around the vital words and phrases.

_________ seeks _________ for _________ and ________. Must _______, enjoy ________, and be tolerant of ________. ________ is/are a plus. _________ need not apply.

This is like that Mad Libs game. The example has words that you'd recognize in one of those Personal ads, right? I thought about filling in the words to provide it for you for this whole 'blank book' or 'journal' Personal ad example, but I decided not to. I'd actually like to invite you to fill it in after reading to the end of this article.

Hey, before you click away from this article, just roll with me for a second, okay?

Some words may come up for you after reading what some of these journals are seeking in you, the writer... If the words do come to you after reading this in its entirety, I hope you've enjoyed the analogy working here.

What does any of this mean for writers being united with a nice, fresh, blank notebook? Well, your blank notebook is in the classifieds and is looking for someone just like you -- but how do you respond? If you and these blank pages were to unite, what would go onto them? I'm glad you asked.

Are you still reading? Good.

I've created a scenario for you in which a notebook has requested a writer (via a metaphorical Personal advertisement) and you're willing to assess the situation.

I'll tell you what to expect in a series of things it has to offer you, the writer:

It wants to hear about your day and how you're doing. It doesn't mind you recollecting your memories, thoughts, dreams, goals, upsets or wins. It appreciates the doodles -- or art -- that you've casually or purposefully drawn next to, beneath above or across its pages. It'll take the words you give it from what you've heard or seen in your life or even from a whole fictional life and world It's cool with the fact that you may or may not love it or writing -- it just wants you to express yourself.

Its personality traits are mostly pretty quiet unless its pages are stiff, it's unselfish and if you pick the right one, it can help you with work, school, recreation, even an amalgamation of those things...It'll most likely be adaptable to what you'd like to ink onto its pages.

Finally, the other thing this blank notebook would like you to know is that doesn't mind your stare at the blank pages when the words just simply don't come to mind ... It's always ready when you are.