An Honest Look at "Joker" (2019)

An Honest Look at "Joker" (2019)

All it takes is one bad day to make the sanest man alive insane.

94
An Honest Look at "Joker" (2019)
Marc Anthony Brown

"Joker" (2019) is amazing. Yes a simple and childish hook but hear me out, in the simplest explanation out there "Joker" (2019) is amazing. For the last month now, the film has been on everyone's mind for good reasons and some bad. While audiences love the film, news coverage has been very manipulative in the United States at least. Many news outlets were quick to cause panic with click baiting headlines talking about possible attacks taking place at Joker screenings. A lot of these allegations were really just allegations with no proof nor substance. Just catchy headlines to grab people's attention. Overall, in today's article we will be discussing the film itself and all the controversy surrounding it along with my personal feelings about the film as a whole.

Joaquin Phoenix as Arthur Fleck Giphy

"Joker" (2019) follows the story of Arthur Fleck, a failed stand-up comedian who thinks the world is out to get him. Over the course of the film, Arthur dives deeper and deeper into madness until eventually becoming "The Joker". Or does he? Why the question you may ask yourself? Well, if you go in expecting to see the classic Batman villain and his upbringing you are in for a show. The movie does adapt certain from the comics but it also provides a twist to almost every single element. By the end of the film, it was hard for me to gather a proper explanation of what had happened. This isn't just a comic book film, it's a film. And the best kinds of comic book films are the ones where if someone was to take all the superhero elements out it would still be an amazing film. Films like "The Dark Knight" (2008) and "Logan" (2019) are regarded as some of the best comic book films of all time. Definitely two films that should be on any top five comic book list and "Joker" (2019) is no different. Joaquin Phoenix does an incredible job. One of the best performances I've ever seen in a film, no exaggeration. Arthur Fleck in the film really felt like a broken man and the audience experienced his suffering throughout his entire journey. A lot of scenes in the film felt so real it posed some good thought-provoking questions that an ethics teacher could probably use in a class. And when leaving the film, you are left feeling… uncomfortable but in a good way. A logical person understands that Arthur Fleck may be the protagonist but he's not the hero and that's something new and I am glad that for once there is a film where we the audience don't automatically have to like the protagonist because they are the protagonist. Note how I said a logical person knows that, well apparently some "award-winning" journalist know which goes into my next point, the news coverage.

I'll be honest and say my trust in the overall news and journalism has gone down over the years. Wow, just saying that makes me feel like I am putting myself into a stereotypical bubble just by saying that. But, I have never witnessed such an attack on a film from an actual journalist about a superhero movie. I mean I've seen some pretty nasty takes over the years on mainly DC films but that's beside the point. We all know the issue of gun violence and how it plagues the United States. With unnecessary killings occurring every day all across the country thanks to loose gun laws. Acts of terrorism in mass shootings pretty much pop up once a month with all eyes on the shooter and their possible motive. Then after the bipartisan bickering dies down, the coverage follows suit. And instead of the people in power, not just in the government but also the press, taking appropriate steps to end this violence they instead put the blame on entertainment. Older Americans constantly blame video games and films for these mass shootings and the Joker film is no different. But what grinds the gears of the younger generation who actually deal with this, they are farther from the truth. For example In 2012, in Aurora Colorado, a mass shooting took place during a screening of "The Dark Knight Rises" (2012). For years media outlets ran with the story that the shooter was inspired by the Joker and wanted to cause mass harm. However, the facts don't add up as the shooter had no prior knowledge of the Joker character actually appearing in the film. On top of that, the claim of the shooter's motive being inspired by the Joker came from the NYPD police commissioner at the time. Not the police commissioner in Aurora. In an article by Vanity Fair, the prosecutor of the Aurora shooting case talked about how the rumor spread. In a perfect world credible news journalists would retract their articles but no, clickbait sells. Even after the film's successful box office opening, articles on Twitter keep popping up using enticing and persuasive language to get readers to feel negatively about the film.

I still believe in the news but right now it just seems that the would country is trying to fill their agenda and slowly is bringing it all down. Joker had a successful box office opening weekend, earning $96 million dollars. I've seen the film twice and can't wait to grab it on Blu-ray. I was so glad to see the Athena on Court Street playing it. The theater is so close to my dorm and I just love the idea of walking out the door and simply just walking to the movies. I don't know just reminds me of simpler times… to an era, I wasn't born yet but whatever. Go see Joker! Everyone should go see it. I am unsure about how superhero films will be received in the future (Disney is going to over saturate the market) but if DC makes more unique superhero films then they will for shore be on top.