JoJo Releases 'Mad Love.' Her First Album In Ten Years

Pop artist JoJo is back with her first official release since 2006's 'The High Road.'

29
ppcorn.com

Yes, you read that right.

The young Pop/R&B star that took over the radio with "Too Little, Too Late" and "Leave (Get Out)" over a decade ago, and starred in some of your favorite movies like "Aquamarine" and "RV," has released her long-awaited third studio album.

Now, for many of you, this is a bit confusing. Is JoJo trying to make a comeback?

Nope. Don't call this a comeback because JoJo was never really gone. There is way more to the story that so many people still don't know. Here is a little background.

For most of the time, JoJo was stuck in a legal battle with her old record label, Blackground Records. Around the time she turned 18, they stopped promoting her music.

She recorded several versions of her third album and tried making many different types of music to see if they would put it out. Unfortunately, she wasn't able to leave them due to her signing a seven album deal.

During that time, she was told to give up and go to college and get a regular job, but JoJo explained that it was in her blood to make music. It's what she had done since she was little so she continued to fight.

Luckily, JoJo was able to work on some side projects and release music legally for free. She made two flawless mixtapes titled "Can't Take That Away From Me" and "Agape," so JoJo was able to maintain a musical connection with her fans. They even started tweeting #FreeJoJo to try and help her escape her contract.

Finally, JoJo was able to hire some lawyers that knew what they were doing, and they found a loophole, stating that Blackground Records couldn't hold a minor for more than 7 years and they had her for 10.

JoJo was then set free and immediately signed to Atlantic Records in 2014. For the past two years she was hard at work on her third album and finally, it has been released in the form of "Mad Love."

Now, as for the album itself, I couldn't have asked for any better. With many years of being stuck and trying out different styles, JoJo was able to try so many new things and the product is fantastic.

The most interesting thing about the album would probably be the title because she styles the album name and the song names with a period at the end. The idea comes from a song on the deluxe edition of "Mad Love." called "Clovers."

In "Clovers." she talks about the depression she had during her legal battle and so she uses the periods as a form of closure, because she is finally free and able to do what she loves.

I couldn't be happier that she was able to create this beautiful album. Throughout the fifteen tracks, JoJo is unapologetic, truthful and extremely real.

She begins the album with the heartbreaking piano ballad "Music." about her late father and her love for music. It's one of the most touching songs on the album and in it, JoJo's voice shines.

The album continues with the only three features. In "I Can Only." she brings Alessia Cara to a track about being yourself and not caring about what others think. In the lead single "Fuck Apologies." Wiz Khalifa helps her explain that you don't have to sorry for doing what you do. Finally "FAB." with Remy Ma the in-your-face anthem, calling out "Fake Ass Bitches."

After all of those collaborations, it's hard to believe the album could get better as it goes along, but it does. Title track "Mad Love." brings an old school R&B vibe to album and probably showcases her incredible vocals the best.

In "Vibe." and "Good Thing." JoJo experiments with more dance-y house beats and succeeds. She goes full R&B in the intense "Reckless." as well as in the sexy "Edibles." which JoJo explains is about "getting high and having sex."

Now, for my personal list of album highlights. "Honest." was a song I figured I would like immediately. I personally believe that being honest is important over everything, but the content of the song is just so musically interesting and lyrically strong.

Another highlight is the sensual "Like This." The song has such a sexy beat to it that you can't help but dance to it, and the song just flows so well into each verse. "Like This." is definitely radio ready as well as the next standout track "High Heels." It is subtly a girl-power anthem basically calling out the cheaters and saying screw you.

Now the deluxe album ends with "Rise Up." which is a positive love tune that makes you feel happy and optimistic to love by the end of it, but on the standard edition, the album ends with one of the most beautiful declarations of self-love titled "I Am."

She simply states "I am, I am, I am, I am worthy of love" over the sound of a piano and it just really tugs on the heartstrings.

Overall, "Mad Love." has me hooked and within the next year it could become insanely huge. JoJo has made it clear that she is here to stay and I wouldn't have it any other way.

"Mad Love." is available in stores, as well as iTunes, Amazon and JoJo's website. You can stream the album on Spotify, Apple Music and YouTube.