Joining A Sorority Gave My College Experience A Real Purpose

Thanks to my sisters, I feel like I have a purpose in my college community and within myself.
167

A sorority girl—just a basic girl that just pays money to make friends? The funny thing is a LOT of people feel this way when it just simply isn't true. Any girl in any sorority can attest to that. The stigma NEEDS to stop. A sorority girl is just like anyone else who values friendships and helping others (philanthropy) and wants to join an organization that encompasses that.

Money. We pay dues and other required national fees. We pay this in order to keep our chapter running and be able to host events for our sorority and other fundraising events for our philanthropy. We don't use the money to bribe others to be our friend. Some of the money we pay is just simply required in order for our chapters to function.

Friendships. I rushed into a sorority this fall of my freshman year, so I haven't even been in a sorority for a full semester yet. Despite this, I feel as though I have made lifelong friendships already. Being at a college far from home and not knowing many people seemed scary at first, but once I joined a sorority I no longer felt scared, I felt safe.

I know these girls have my back and will be there for me on good and bad days—they are my sisters. I will always have someone down to grab an ice cream cone or grab a salad at Verde with, thanks to my sisters. I can always count on someone being there for me, whether that means calling a sister or just showing up at the sorority house.

In a sorority, you also get a Big and a "Pham" which actually becomes your family away from home. Who wouldn't want to join something that makes them feel accepted and loved, just like a family does?

Philanthropy. Every sorority has their own philanthropy which they give back to. The great thing is, all of Greek life comes together and helps raise money for all of the philanthropies. At the College of Charleston, there is an event called Pep Supper, which is a dance competition that is all about raising money for the Lowcountry Food Bank. It shows people in the Greek life and outside of Greek life that people can come together and have fun while also helping others.

This also shows others outside of the Greek life community, that we do care and we don't just party.

People involved in Greek life care, just like anyone else. I don't understand why there is such a stigma against Greek life as a whole. Joining a sorority is the best choice I have made my freshman year of college thus far, and I have a feeling it will be the best choice of my college career. Going Greek has made me have a purpose in my college community and within myself.