Joining A Sorority Was One Of The Best Decisions I Made In College

I had found my home.

294
Taylor Dean

First off, let me say that most stereotypes that you see, read, or hear about sororities aren't true. Sororities are a way to find a family, find where you belong and make tons of new friends and memories. When I was first rushing the sororities at my school, I was very concerned at the fact that I did not know where I belonged. At my school, we rush sororities second semester, because there is a base GPA that you need to have to join a sorority. As recruitment went on, I started to see where I would fit in. First semester, I made all these new friends but I never really found that place where there were people who thought alike and different than me and valued my opinions (outside the classroom of course).

After I received my bid to the sorority I went on to be initiated into, I was ecstatic, but also extremely nervous. Would I make friends? Would the women value my opinion and accept my values? Would I find my people? The answer to all of these questions was yes. I have 230 new friends, the amazing women in my chapter value my opinion and accept my values and I found my people. My first week pledging the sorority I was able to find the people I knew I would get along with for the rest of my life and would be proud to eventually call my sisters.

Fast forward a few weeks and it's time to find a big. I was told to write down 12 names, and I ended up putting down 19. I was very stressed and I put down all the names I could think of in the order that they came to me. The next day I received my first email from my mystery big. I had no idea who it was but I knew we would get along perfectly and I knew we would love each other unconditionally.

Fast forward about a week and a half later (stupid snow), and I find out who my fam is! Turns out, I have a twin and I couldn't be happier! My fam is so big and amazing and I love them so much and they love me. I had found my people.

A few days later, we were initiated. As I listened to the ceremony, the values aligned with mine and I knew I had found my place. I knew I had found my people. I knew I had found my home. Now, after being initiated for almost a month, it stands as the best decision I had ever made. I see my sisters everywhere I go and I know they will always stop to ask me how I am, and they actually care. They love me and I love them. I am proud to be a member of the amazing chapter I am in and I would not want it any other way. Even though I wanted to drop out of recruiment and not pledge my sorority anymore at one point, I am so happy I had stuck with it and I am so excited for the years to come.