Joining DWaC Is One Of The Best Decisions I Have Made

Thank you for inspiring me to be the best musician and the best woman I can be.

105

September 2018 was a month that truly changed my life. Singing has been a defining part of me for as long as I can remember, and as excited as I was for my transition into college, I could not help but leave high school with a feeling of inherent sadness. I was an active member of the Honors Chambers Choir and spent years engaging in voice lessons, yet I chose not to pursue the study of vocal performance as I entered college. I thought that, once I walked out the doors of my high school, I would be leaving behind years of hard work and dedication that I had put into singing and performing music. In essence, I believed I was saying a permanent goodbye to my musical endeavors.

I took a generous amount of time that I needed to adjust to life in college during my freshman year. Though, once all became quickly settled, it was not until my sophomore year that I began to feel a void. I came to realize how much I missed the music in my life, as everything was becoming too quiet. At the beginning of fall quarter, I apprehensively walked through the doors of DWaC (DePaul Women's a Capella) auditions. I began to feel myself shaking, as I had not performed for anyone in over a year - let alone a group of strangers. In addition, I previously spent most of my time singing classical pieces and had minimal experience with a capella music. Nonetheless, I completed my audition and received a spot in the group.

After only five short months of being a member of DWaC, I can confidently say it is one of the best decisions I have made in my college career. Not only has it provided me with the opportunity to incorporate music back into my life, but it has allowed me to spend time with a group of exceptional and empowering women. Each time we rehearse, I am able to learn with them, to laugh with them, and ultimately, to grow with them. I have been graced with friendships I may never have found if I had not been driven by my love and pursuit of music. To all the ladies of DWaC, thank you for inspiring me to be the best musician and the best woman that I can be.

If you are interested to see all that DWaC has to offer, come join us at our winter concert, "Just the 25 of Us," featuring DePaul Men's a Capella!

MARCH 9, 2019

1110 W. Lill Ave, Chicago, IL 60614

7:30 p.m. (Doors open at 7:15)