What Are 4-H and FFA?

20 Things You Should Know about Joining An Agriculture Organization

We're not serial killers, but we do know how to kill it in an interview!

238
The FFA And 4H Organization
Corrine Harding

Agriculture is a hot topic, but there seems to be confusion and misconceptions about the student-run agriculture organizations: 4-H and FFA. Unfortunately, I was never in 4-H, but I know that both the FFA and 4-H help prepare our nation's youth to excel in everything they do. Here are the 20 things you should know about joining an agriculture youth organization.

1. 4-H is not part of FFA

4-H, run by the Extension Program, is an organization for youth between the ages of 8 and 18 that teaches the importance of hard work, education and much more. However, the 4-H organization is distinctly separate from the National FFA Organization. The National FFA Organization, on the other hand, is run through different school programs, where students as early as middle school to their senior year of high school can both learn and compete. People can choose to be in both programs or just one. Either way, these organizations are teaching students of all ages the importance of leadership, agriculture, and hands-on work to achieve their goals.

2. You do not need to grow up on a farm to be involved

One major misconception about both of these organizations is that you have to come from a farming background, which is not true whatsoever. Whether you come from an urban city miles away from farmland or you live smack-dab in the middle of a cornfield, these organizations are open for you to be a part of! Being involved in the FFA, I had opportunities to visit the Chicago High School for Agricultural Sciences, which is a high school in the middle of Chicago that gives high school students access to agriculture hands-on experience in the city. Agriculture touches all lives and so do these youth organizations.

3. "FFA" no longer means "Future Farmers Of America"

A somewhat confusing fact is that "FFA" no longer means "Future Farmers of America." In 1988, the organization changed their name to "The National FFA Organization." This name change was made to make FFA more inclusive because not every member comes from a farm. In fact, farmers only make up 2% of the American population. Even though this organization might not stand for "Future Farmers of America" anymore, it emphasizes care for both agriculture and its diverse members, whether they come from a farm or not.

4. Projects are not solely based on livestock

I spent my whole childhood on a corn and soybean farm, but I involved myself further by joining the FFA. A misconception about both 4-H and FFA is that your projects must solely be based in livestock or other directly agriculture-related opportunities, but this is not even close to being accurate. 4-H offers sewing projects, public speaking contests, and so much more. The same is true for the FFA. One of my projects was solely based on community service, like when I helped teach at my local vacation bible school. You can have livestock projects, but you can also choose projects that best fit your needs. The purpose of these projects is to give people a chance to work on something independently and feel pride in themselves when they compete and explain what their project means to them.

5. But you do learn to love livestock

County fair shows

Corrine Harding

I never had livestock, as I grew up on a grain farm. It was because of my involvement in the FFA that I grew an immense love for all livestock. Unfortunately, I saw a video floating around social media that argued programs like 4-H and FFA are making youth become sociopaths and serial killers. This video explained that the youth only viewed these animals as objects or projects for slaughter, not as individuals. The problem with this idea is that people with livestock do connect with their animals, especially if they show the animal, but they do not view livestock as just "objects." They are animals they work with day in and day out, bond with, and care about their well-being. Caring for livestock is a full-time job, and it is something that it is not taken lightly.

Having children as young as eight showing livestock teaches them a hard lesson in life that everyone should understand. As part of the circle of life, we all will pass away, but the important thing is we spend time with the people and things that matter. We live life to the fullest and enjoy what we do. Yes, the day the livestock animal is being sold to slaughter may bring tears to the children's eyes, but they can look back fondly. Also keep in mind that just because an animal is being shown at a livestock show, does not mean it will be slaughtered, for example, dairy cattle.

6. Competition is a learning experience

I have always been competitive, but by competing in contests with the FFA, I learned more about myself and others. Whether I was competing for the Public Speaking LDE (Leadership Development Event), practicing Parliamentary Procedure with my teammates, or driving a few hours away for a Livestock Judging Contest, all of these contests were not just about the plaques and ribbons. I learned that losing isn't the end of the world -- giving up is. Sometimes you may mess up or stumble over words, but it is perfectly okay to be not perfect.

7. You will find some of your best friends in these organizations

There is something uniquely special about wearing matching uniforms, whether it is rocking a 4-H button up or modeling black dress pants and a stiff, blue corduroy jacket. The years I spent involved in the FFA, gave me some of my best friends. When you spend so much time together at meetings, contests, or conferences, you are bound to make life-long friendships.

8. You will gain friends from all over

Being involved in these organizations can help you meet people from all over your county, state or even the nation. I have made friends from sea to shining sea because of FFA conferences and trips. Meeting people from different cultures and backgrounds but the same organization can help build fast friendships that withstand years and thousands of miles apart.

9. Don't be afraid to get a little dirty

I am not a camping girl. I like my air-conditioning, indoor plumbing, and I hate bugs. But because of the FFA, I went to the Illinois FFA Leadership Camp two years in a row. I can summarize my feelings for camp in three simple words: "I LOVE CAMP." Being involved in both 4-H and FFA can lead you to camps where you might be living it a little rough for a week. After your time at camp, you might not smell the loveliest and be covered in bug bites, but those are moments you won't ever forget.

4-H and FFA teach the importance of hard work, and many times hard work means getting your hands a little dirty. Embrace the dirt under your fingernails, the sweat dripping down your face, and everything else that comes with hard work. It builds character and fills you with pride when you are finished.

10. Embrace new opportunities

Organizations like 4-H and FFA give you countless once-in-a-lifetime opportunities. Whether you are running for an officer position or traveling across the state for a conference, you change for the better. To make the most of your time, you need to embrace these new opportunities and go for them. Be excited to try new things, not afraid to embarrass yourself, and your time involved will not be wasted.

11. Going outside your comfort zone is crucial

Your comfort zone is built up to keep you safe from danger or embarrassment, but the people who make the most out of these organizations, and life in general, know that your comfort zone can hold you back. Because of being an Illinois FFA State Officer, I had the opportunity to travel across the world to South Africa to visit different farms and historical sites for two weeks. I was super nervous and wasn't sure if I wanted to go. Nonetheless, I went and even had the opportunity to pet a live crocodile. I jumped outside of my comfort zone and into one of my most life-changing experiences. Toss that comfort zone away and see what the FFA and 4-H have to offer you.

12. Be prepared to talk

When people talk about my generation, they often speak negatively that young people can't communicate anymore. Being involved with FFA and 4-H can help people feel comfortable speaking face-to-face with a stranger or speaking in front of crowds of people. How you ask? Let me explain, when 4-H members have projects, like sewing, baking, or even a livestock project, they talk to the judges and tell all the work they did. It is not just a one-way street though; the judges ask the participants questions to see they know their stuff and can listen.

There is also public speaking contests in 4-H, as well. In FFA, if you compete in a Supervised Agricultural Experience (which is a record book on a project), you will go through several interviews with four to five people asking you questions about your project. One, this is perfect practice for job interviews. Two, it makes students feel more comfortable talking in front of others. My freshman year of high school, I was always nervous talking to someone face to face, but I seemed to love public speaking.

Several years later, I still enjoy speaking in front of crowds but also found a love having conversations with people, even if I never met them before in my life. Because of the blue corduroy jacket, I have the confidence to be able to speak in front of crowds of over 5,000 people and then be interviewed by significant agriculture news companies. I am just one story of how the FFA and 4-H break people out of their shells.

13. You will stand out in your field!

FFA and 4-H don't just teach people how to speak, but there are so many other skills these organizations give for those that take the chance. Leadership, patience, record book-keeping, organization and teamwork skills are just a few skills students can gain while in an agricultural organization. These skills are necessary to be successful in school, work, and life in general. The earlier these skills can be taught, the better chances of success for the kids. If you embrace the opportunities and forget about your comfort zone while in 4-H or FFA, you will learn skills that will make you outstanding in whatever field you are in.

14. You will gain an appreciation for the agriculture industry

Before joining the FFA, I didn't understand or value what the agriculture industry was or what my family had been doing for generations. Being involved in these organizations opens your eyes to the global work going on in the agriculture industry. So whether you come from a farm or not, you will learn so much about this industry and grow respect for everything going on within it. Whether you then choose to work in the agriculture industry or not, you will be educated about the food you eat, clothes you wear, and everything else agriculture does for the world. Agricultural appreciation is loving animals, respecting the Earth, and wanting to make sure every mouth is fed in this world with healthy and safe food.

15. You will experience so much growth

The skills you gain because of the FFA and 4-H will help you grow so much as a person. Just think about it,:who were you four years ago? Now imagine, being cultivated into a strong adult thanks to organizational involvement for four years or even ten years. Imagine how much you will grow, physically and metaphorically, because of all of the chances you take and the opportunities you embrace. Being active in FFA and 4-H will help you grow into the person you dream to be and achieve the goals in front of you.

16. You will find role models

No matter what age you are, you will always have role models. I found so many role models while I was involved in the FFA, whether in my chapter, people I met throughout my experiences or even state officers. No matter what organization you are in or who the role model is, the thing about these organizations is that they are always thinking about the future. You are too, and you can find the people that you want to be like when you're older. They may be winning every contest, be the kindest soul you have ever met, or hold a leadership position you want one day. Having role models to follow pushes kids to achieve more and be more.

17. You, too, will become a role model

You might become someone's own role model one day. You may not know who it is or why they look up to you, but many of us are role models to others. Keep the attitude of trying to make others and yourself proud. Whether it is in the show ring, the classroom or an officer meeting, in 4-H and FFA, you will be looked up, no matter what your height is!

18. Impact is made everywhere by everyone

Making an impact can be this significant thing or a small everyday action. Being in 4-H and FFA, you can make many impressions with every decision you make. I realized that anyone, no matter who you are, can make an impact in these organizations. Remember the power you have on people because you will leave an impression on them. One of the reasons why I love Illinois FFA Leadership Camp so much is because of the group members I was in charge of. They impacted me every day and helped my love grow for the FFA even more.

19. Leadership is not defined by officer roles

The FFA taught me that leadership is not defined by officer positions. Leadership is inside of you. 4-H and FFA give countless of leadership opportunities, but it is not always by officer positions. Being a leader is living selflessly and ensuring the work you do is bettering the future. Anyone can be a leader, and these organizations give students opportunities to become leaders at a young age. Leadership will help take people far in life. Even once they are done with these organizations, the leaders they truly are won't go away.

20. You will become a much needed voice for agriculture

With great power, comes great responsibility. Being involved in FFA and 4-H teaches you skills that will help you turn from good to fantastic. These skills can then be put towards the agriculture industry. This industry is a hot topic in our nation right now, and now more than ever, we need voices explaining their stories. The FFA and 4-H give people all ages the platform to share their stories with some influential people. Your FFA jackets or 4-H button-down are icebreakers for people to ask questions about what are you representing.

Be proud of your story and who you have become! Use your voice to share your experiences with these organizations and agriculture, because if we don't start to speak up, we lose our voices completely. Joining these organizations are a lot of fun, and you can make memories, but they also put a lot of valuable responsibility is on the members. Just remember to speak even if your voice shakes.

Whether you are in 4-H or FFA, in both or just considering to join, know that you will experience amazing things because of these organizations. As members, you are representing some of the largest student-run organizations, and you should be proud to represent the blue and gold or the four leaf clover.