Joining a Club

Besides an education, many come to college for an experience. Thinking that as soon as you step foot on campus they are instantly going to make friends, go to parties, and make memories. Hate to break it to you, but what usually happens after welcome weekends consists of going to class, meeting some floormates, and spending your nights watching Netflix.

If you want to make the most of your college experience, get involved. I don't just mean join Greek life — you can do anything. Join the hammock club, join a business organization, write for your school newspaper. When you join a club, you are going to make friendships that last forever. You are going to have something to do on the weekends. You are going to make those memories that last you a lifetime, I promise.

To expand on friendships, you're going to really bond with people. They always say that college friends become your family. You will spend so much time with them, going through experiences away from home, but you won't have to do it alone. There will be others with you who you can go to when times are tough because they are most likely going through similar situations. These people will remain with you for the long run.

Besides friendships, many people gain leadership skills and really find themselves getting lost in their roles within whatever organization they decide to join. Even when you don't think that you are going to have a role, you'd be surprised at what things you become passionate about and want to dive deeper into. Let yourself become excited about wherever your organization takes you. Sometimes the most unexpected things become some of your favorite things.

This doesn't just apply to freshmen either. I have seen people who don't go out for a club until their senior year and make the most out of the amount of time they have left. If you are having a tough time with college, and you're thinking that maybe your school isn't right for you, or you wish there was more to do, get more involved with your campus! It will open up more opportunities for you than you think.

If you're reading this and you think that any of this applies to you, ask around and see what interests you. There are always resources on your school's websites about activities you can get involved with. Make sure you get the most out of the small amount of time you have at your university, because one day, those people that you meet are going to be at your family get-togethers, maybe even your wedding. They are going to be talking about those same experiences you shared together while at college, and those same memories you made.