Peer Health Exchange

You Should Join Peer Health Exchange

PHE, PHE, PHE!

68
You Should Join Peer Health Exchange

Are you looking for a club to join on campus? Are you interested in helping your community? Do you want to broaden your public speaking experience, improve your interpersonal conversational skills, perfect your ability to write on a whiteboard? You can do all this and more when you join Peer Health Exchange, the best program on Fordham University's campus.

Peer Health Exchange is a national organization that focuses on placing student teachers in high schools where health classes are underfunded or cut from the curriculum entirely. Instead of just ignoring this problem, however, schools will partner with PHE, allowing students from local universities go into classrooms and teach health curriculum that ranges from sex ed to mental health education to comprehensive knowledge on drug and alcohol abuse. The classes run for about an hour and are centered around conversations with the students, which allows the classroom to become a supportive space for questions and the clearing up of misconceptions.

I've been teaching with PHE for two years now, and I can promise you that this club truly makes a difference in both my surrounding community and in the development of my own skill set. The number of times I've had students ask me questions that I've never even thought about addressing is too many to count, and these questions open up broader opportunities for discussion and learning, which I am always happy to facilitate. Plus, I've seen my public speaking and interpersonal interaction abilities improve while working in this position, making PHE a win-win for all students involved! Plus, the PHE community is an inclusive and fun space where college students are able to make a difference with their peers, an amazing opportunity for growth and connection.

If you're interested in joining PHE, you're in luck! Recruitment just began, and you can sign up to apply at www.peerhealthexchange.org/apply, with the applications for Fordham University being due by midnight on September 16th. If you any questions, you can check out the PHE website or direct comments to the student leaders of PHE at your university.