'John Wick 3: Parabellum' Is A Hilariously Awesome Ride
Film

"Parabellum" ratchets up the action and provides a good, albeit hilariously fun story in the world of hitmen.

48

SPOILER WARNING: This article contains spoilers for "John Wick 3: Parabellum."

The "John Wick" series has been one that is known for action, witty banter, cool music, and an interesting fictional take on the underground hitman community. I was particularly excited for the new installment of the franchise entitled "John Wick Chapter 3: Parabellum" because the previous chapter left a lot of untold. "Parabellum" turns up the dial on ridiculous action that makes it even more fun than the last.

John Wick: Chapter 3 - Parabellum (2019 Movie) New Trailer – Keanu Reeves, Halle Berry YouTube

"Parabellum" returns director Chad Stahelski, and star Keanu Reeves in the title role, followed by Halle Berry, Ian McShane, and Laurence Fishburne. Reeves is again spectacular after revitalizing his career in the first "John Wick" film, doing almost all of his own stunts, which assuredly take hours of choreography. Not only that, but the choreography looks incredibly natural and not at all rehearsed. This is what has made the "John Wick" film so enjoyable.

Regarding the writing, "Parabellum's" arc is nothing special, but certainly serviceable for a film like this. After being "excommunicado'd" by the hitman union (???), Wick is on a race against time to earn his spot back in the hitman community. In his quest to reach the "High Table", Wick encounters many hitmen trying to take the $14 million dollar bounty on his head. Chaos obviously ensues, and it makes for some great "eye candy" that is enjoyed well with popcorn and a tall soda.

These movies are so action-packed and filled with witty banter that one can certainly overlook all of the plot holes in the writing. The overarching story is much more important and overshadows any minor details that one could pay attention to. It is clear that the writers have mastered how to write well enough to make the action front and center, but still make everything coherent. I would go as far as to say that about 80% of this film is pure action, and I loved every second of it.

Thankfully, "Parabellum" ends on an unresolved note, which means we will certainly see more of our favorite, dog-owning hitman. "Parabellum" is much more of the same that we have come to expect from the "Wick" series, and longtime fans of the franchise will not be disappointed.

Rating: 8.2/10