Jewelry Basics To Elevate Your Style

Jewelry Basics To Elevate Your Style

Jewelry is a symbol of wealth and prosperity.

13
Jewelry Basics To Elevate Your Style

A simple Cuban chain can go a long way. The heavy links will add texture. Stick to a classic gold or silver look. Men’s pendants draw the eye and can subtly highlight aspects of your personality. Choose a charm that has special meaning to you, like a cross or star of David. If you aren’t religious, you could showcase your astrological sign. Try layering a couple of chains to add depth to your look.

Sure, diamonds are a girl’s best friend – but why let the ladies have all the fun? Men should take advantage of the wide world of jewelry to enhance their personal style. The right men’s pendants, bracelets, rings, watches, and cufflinks can help tie an outfit together and create a polished look.

Less is More

While women can get away with elaborate chandelier earrings and heavy necklaces, men’s jewelry is typically more straightforward. You don’t need multiple pieces or multiple precious stones to elevate your look. In fact, overly flashy jewelry sends the wrong message, making you look slightly ostentatious. You want your accessories to convey confidence, personality, and a sense of style.

The same goes when choosing a bracelet. Stay away from charms here. A simple looped leather band can add some personal flair to a casual look. A gold or silver chain accentuates the wrist for something a little more refined. In a suit, skip the bracelet and opt for a chic pair of cufflinks to dress it up. The name of the game is to keep it classy and simple.

Match Your Metals

Be sure the metals you choose to wear together are in the same shade. Say you are looking to dress up a classic black suit for a wedding with some gold jewelry. You’ll want your necklace, cufflinks, and watch all to be in the same shade of gold to keep the look cohesive. Since metal alloys sometimes differ between manufacturers, try to find a brand you love from which you can purchase multiple items. Otherwise, lay your pieces out and pair them up together to find what works well to create a cohesive look.

Dress it Up or Keep it Casual

Since men’s jewelry is typically simpler than women's, it’s easier to dress most pieces up or down depending on what you are wearing. The same men’s pendants that can add flair to a turtleneck and blazer can tie together a sporty beach ensemble. Either way, the necklace will help complete your look.

Watches can immediately elevate a look. A smartwatch with a clean leather band is perfect for everyday wear, but when you want to dress up your suit, go for a timepiece that stands out. Choose a gold or silver watch with a medium-sized face and masculine details like roman numerals. You don’t need to invest thousands in a Rolex to achieve this sophisticated look.

Other simple elements you can use to take your suit to the next level are cufflinks, lapel pins, and tie clips. These are tiny touches that can help polish off a well-cut suit. If you prefer a tailored look opt for simple gold or silver designs. Try a more playful clip or pin if you are a quirky fellow. Just make sure the colors don’t clash with other accessories like your pocket square or dress shirt.

Don’t Be Afraid to Layer

Yes, less is more. But that doesn't mean you can only wear one piece at a time. Combining multiple pieces in one look shows that you are detail-oriented. Just make sure you stick to one color palate and create a cohesive design. Layered rings can give off a sexy rock star vibe. Think Mick Jagger or Johnny Depp. Try playing with a variety of heavy rings. Just don’t wear one on your left hand unless you are married. That might send the wrong message.

Choose High-Quality Over High Quantity

A few high-quality signature pieces will last longer than multiple cheap accessories. You don’t need to spend thousands of dollars on solid gold jewelry. Opt for sterling silver or gold-plated pieces. If possible, look for manufacturing details like if they are waterproof and sweatproof. These are less likely to tarnish and will last you for decades. You can find a lot of high-quality jewelry for under $100 online.

Take Care of your Jewelry

When you invest in high-quality jewelry, you’ll want to care for it to prevent damage properly. Dull or lackluster accessories won’t elevate your look the same way a polished piece will. Avoid applying lotion or cologne while wearing your jewelry, as the chemicals in these products can cause damage to certain metal alloys. Depending on the manufacturer, you may also need to avoid water and remove your necklace, bracelets, or rings before swimming, showering, or exercising. Store your jewelry in a cool, dry place to prevent tarnishing or tangling. Keeping your pieces clean and organized will ensure they are in great shape whenever you want to upgrade an outfit.