The Secret Life of A Millenial Christian

Discrimination is shameful and should never be normalized.

1945
https://az616578.vo.msecnd.net/files/2018/03/11/636563815603494092-1042859278_ben-white-181034-unsplash.jpg

It is a universally accepted truth that no living person wants to feel judged.

Judgment in itself is a word that evokes fear into the heart of anyone who hears it. Often times humans do all that they can in order to feel positively acknowledged into today's society. My issue with this is that I am not considered normal in the current world we live in.

I'm a mixed race female Christian. Not only am I a rarity, but I'm also one of those so-called "Jesus freaks." If you aren't already aware, this is widely frowned upon in most places nowadays. So, allow me to break down what exactly it's like to be a Christian millennial.

Firstly, I would like to address the stigma that has an invisible chain around my throat as a follower of Christ. The general public in this day and age likes to call Christianity a "white" religion (even though the entirety of the Bible takes place in the Middle East). They also have taken it upon themselves to deem us as racist, homophobic, or sexist. Let me clear something up here: that information couldn't be more incorrect.

There are extremists in all religions that make everyone look bad at times, but this doesn't mean that the root of that religion is inherently evil. Christianity is not a religion that discriminates, it is one that is meant to spread love. It's an extremely personal religion that focuses on having a relationship with God, not judging others for their lack thereof.

I believe it's important to have knowledge of these things before you can make a judgment on how you feel about it. Even if you disagree with what I believe in, why does my faith offend you? How does it affect your life in any way?

There was a girl I knew in college who had a class that addressed controversial topics. She said that each time a topic was given, the professor would ask the class to go to the right or left of the room depending on whether or not they agreed with what she had said. One day she asked this large class the following question:

"True or false: Christians are not discriminated against."

The whole class except for two people all scurried to the left side of the room to convey that it is true that Christians are in fact not discriminated against. I found the outcome of this experiment almost laughable with how blatantly misinformed the majority of these students were.

My college classes have been filled with hatred towards the Christian religion. I had a professor actually give me a D on a test simply because I refused to call Jesus a heretic. Many peers won't have a friendship with me because they consider me to be a disgrace by associating myself with such "hateful" people. My first roommates in college made my life a living nightmare until I left because I didn't drink with them. It's hypocritical to despise someone without knowing them based on the false notion that they must despise you and your lifestyle.

Yes, I am mixed race, overweight and a woman, but I have never been more discriminated against than I am for being a Christian. When I accepted Christ into my heart and decided to follow this faith, I suddenly was bombarded with insults for converting. This behavior that even adults are exhibiting towards us has essentially justified verbal abuse among a community. The media has distorted our peaceful religion and led millions of people in the world to believe that we are a vitriolic people.

The main issue with humans all comes back to judgment. People are afraid of being judged, and so in turn, they judge us before they can even know us. I personally judge no one, and it's written in the Bible hundreds of times that none of us are supposed to judge others around us. So, if you see someone being horrible to another person, then they aren't truly representing our religion, and I'd be thankful if you didn't hold their actions against me.

I will never use my faith to judge you in any way, and I will not shove my beliefs down your throat. My relationship with God is my own, and I don't talk about it unless it's relevant in conversation or I am asked about it. I see no reason as to why I should be considered any less than another person simply due to what I personally believe in. I am a millennial Christian, and I am immensely proud to be a representation of the love my religion embodies.