Jenna Hamilton

Jenna Hamilton

The cause of her own problems.

80
Jenna Hamilton
Heavy Editoral

MTV’s TV series, "Awkward", follows Palos Hills High School’s Jenna Hamilton in her complicated journey that she calls life. Miraculously through all of her struggles, Jenna finished high school and her first year of college. The TV show begins with Jenna wanting to be with the guy of her dreams also the most popular guy in school, Matty McKibbean. First, I want to point out that I absolutely love this show. I appreciate the laughs and often headaches that the show brings me. Now, I have recently seen the last episode of season five and I am sad to say that it could be the last. So, I am taking the time out now to discuss how most of the central problems were caused by Jenna. Jenna is the type to overdo, over-analyze, and over-exaggerate. She gets into arguments over friendships, relationships, and household issues. Let me just give you an example of her process.

Exhibit A: Jenna sees a pretty girl talking to the guy of her dreams, Matty McKibbean.

Jenna’s thoughts: Who is she? Why is she talking to him? Does Matty like blondes instead of brunettes?

Exhibit B: Jenna gets into an argument with a friend.

Jenna’s actions: Completely takes the argument out of proportion and says a hurtful comment or explicit secret.

The list goes on. These examples quickly sum up how quick Jenna’s mind can wander. I often think she needs a shrink because of some of the things she says. However, I know I can’t expect anything less of Jenna Hamilton. When I click on an episode to watch, I know that I’m going to get mad at someone getting drunk and saying something stupid or lying and making situations worse.

As much as I love the show, Jenna’s actions often frustrate me immensely. In some situations, it’s almost like she doesn’t even think about what she says before she says it -- yet, she overthinks simple things. Sometimes, she can be rude, extremely misguided and self-centered. I find myself shouting at the screen or sighing with deep frustration over something Jenna may have said or done. Her mistakes are endless, but people make mistakes every day. In the case of this show, someone is making a mistake every hour of the day.

Jenna needed to work on not being insecure during her high school career. She was constantly trying to fit in, but I believe she was born to stand out. The way she awkwardly responds to situations and comes to her unique solutions puts her in her own category: the Jenna Hamilton category. When I watch other TV shows and movies, I’m always comparing a character to Jenna now. For example, a girl being in denial over the status of an undefined relationship. Oh, she’s such a Jenna. "Awkward" has set a bar so high on a teen radar that another TV show doesn’t compare in the frustration department. I sincerely hope the show continues.