Jacob Whitesides Turns Pain Into Art

Jacob Whitesides Taught Me To Turn Pain Into Something Beautiful

Forever a Jacob Whitesides fan girl.

68
Personal Photo

For those of you who don't know who Jacob Whitesides is, allow me to introduce you. Jacob Whitesides is a 21 year old Tennessee native who got his start posting cover videos on Youtube as well as a short stint on the reality T.V. show The X Factor. He is very active on Twitter and Instagram lately and has completely captured the hearts of millions of people world wide, me included.

I have been a fan of Jacob for the last 6 years, since I saw his first Youtube video when I was 14 years old. I have been to several concerts, met him on tours, and have been convinced of our impending marriage for the entirety of this time. Embarrassing to admit, I know, but come on, look at this glow up and tell me it isn't meant to be:

Age 15 years old to 18 years old.Personal Photo

I can't help it. Jacob has a distinctive voice and style of music that just captivates you and makes you want to listen to more. With songs like "Killing Me" and "Shame On You" Jacob proves he's no stranger to pain and heartbreak. However, what makes Jacob so great in my book, is his ability to not only turn his pain into art, but his transparency about his life and his struggles.

In early 2015, Jacob's mom, Becky, was diagnosed with Breast Cancer. That's a lot for anyone to deal with. Let alone a family oriented young man who is also trying to manage a budding music career. But in that time Jacob was very open with fans and advocated as a warrior for his mom in every way. It turned the entire fan base into a family that was there for him and his family.

It's also no secret to any Whitesider that Jacob and his sister Sierra had a rocky relationship with their father. Their mother has been all they've had for the entirety of their lives. Instead of letting his familial issues consume him, Jacob channeled those feelings into songs like "Ohio" and "Billboard (If I'm Honest)". Both songs are among my favorites that Jacob has written because of the honesty and vulnerability that it took to write them.

Jacob is also very much an open book when he performs. Part of the reason I love to see him in concert is because it's almost as if it's an intimate gathering among friends. Jacob remembers our names and faces. He tells us the stories behind each song, no matter how painful. He get's choked up and sometimes he cries. He sings into our souls and he makes sure we know that he is this vulnerable because of the things he's been through and the support he's received throughout.

It's not uncommon to see me in a mess of tears during a Jacob Whitesides concert. I love being able to hear and feel his pain through music and relate to it on a personal level. It's why he's one of my favorite musicians.

It isn't uncommon for Jacob to tweet about how he's been feeling lately or to relate to someone on a personal level when they're going through hardships. He has this wonderful way of finding good in things because he's lived through horrible things and he's managed to turn pain into art and beauty.

I've been through a lot of rough stuff in the last 20 years of life. But through finding Jacob, meeting him, becoming a fan, and listening to his music, I have learned that pain can be beauty. I have learned that even in the darkest points in my life, there is always a way out. There is always room for growth and learning. I can turn my hardships into art.

So, should he read this, I want to take a moment to thank Jacob. For choosing to turn pain into beauty. For choosing to share it with the world. For teaching me that it's okay to have bad days, but there will be a bunch of good days that follow them. I will always hold a special place in my heart for the awkward 16 year old boy I met in a run down club in Lancaster, PA that called me sunshine and has remembered me by my actual name at every show since.

I will forever be thankful for the lesson he's taught me, without even knowing it.