It's A Wonderful Life

It's A Wonderful Life

The confession of a stay at home Mommy.

7
It's A Wonderful Life
Laura Harshfield

I admit sometimes I'm just not good at this stuff. Every time I get life "down to a science" I'm quickly knocked on my butt to be reminded I have no idea what I'm doing, yet I just keep going. After all that's all we can do right? "Just keep swimming."

I wake up everyday with the intentions to be better than I was the day before. Roll out of bed bright and early with a smile on my face, shower, make a five star breakfast for the kiddos, teach them something new everyday, play with them all day long, lay them down for synchronized naps, get all the sweeping, dishes, laundry, etc. done, make a wonderfully nutritious lunch, play some more, make a wonderful dinner for my husband, greet him at the door with a hug and a kiss and nothing but happiness, bed promptly at 9pm. In reality, it's roll out of bed looking like you've been hit by a bus because the baby wouldn't sleep all night, throw some cheerios and a banana on a plate for your toddler with a cup of milk, clean up at least three messes before the food has even been put in her mouth, be lucky if I get one chore done around the house, play with one then neglect to teach the other (visa versa), if I'm lucky get one to take a nap, if I'm really lucky BOTH, maybe get a shower before your husband walks in the door and sure enough no dinner prepared unless it's something quick and easy I can throw in the oven between tantrums, and if I'm lucky bed by 11pm. Chaotic right? A complete and utter beautiful mess and I wouldn't change it for the world.

Sometimes I lose my temper, sometimes I cry for the few seconds alone I have a day (I do mean seconds), sometimes I get overwhelmed, sometimes I eat way worse than I'd like to admit, sometimes it's just a curl up on the couch and cuddle your kids all day kind of day, and I know for a fact when these days have came and gone, I'm going to miss this. It's funny because I always grew up thinking when you became a wife and mother you automatically would become this picture perfect story book where nothing ever goes wrong and you're always 100 percent perfect, and it wasn't until I became one myself that I realize I was right... this life is perfect, just not in the way I thought. It's a beautiful, messy, chaotic, stressful, hard, exhausting, wonderful life! You see life isn't about being perfect and always on point 100 percent of the time, it's about eating that extra piece of cake because you've had a rough day, it's about forgetting the laundry and spending as much time possible with your family, it's about throwing that freezer pizza in the oven for your family for dinner and enjoying every bite AS A FAMILY! When it comes down to it; your husband will not care one way or another if he comes home to a fully primped wife or the wife who has "thank goodness you're home I just want a shower" written all over her face. He won't remember life as you not having it together all the time and neither will your kids; what they will remember? Being happy. Spending time with each other. Making memories (even if they are messy). Because once you find the real joy in your wonderfully messy life, you'll never question your happiness again. Live for your kids, live for your husband, live desperately needing Jesus, and live for that last piece of cake (even if you have to hide in the bathroom to eat it). Life is too short to worry that you're doing it all wrong. You've got this Momma. Don't ever let anyone tell you any different.