It's Time To Evolve

It's Time To Evolve

We aren't in 1776 anymore.

15
Unsplash via Cristofer Jeschke

2020 has been a tough year and over the past few months, it's become increasingly tough with the looming Presidential Election on November 3rd. We are not only a divided nation but the past six months have become divided in our own circles as well, which doesn't help anyone feel better. We no longer listen rationally to those around us. We no longer empathize or try to see the other person's point of view. Instead, if someone doesn't agree with us, we get mad and cut them out of our lives, which is detrimental to society as a whole.

Now, without trying to make this fully political and to try to put it as plainly and simply as possible, it's time to evolve. If you take a good, hard look in the mirror, can you say that you are the exact same person that you were five, 10, 15, or 20 years ago? I bet 99% of people reading this would say that they aren't the same, and those who say they are are most likely lying to themselves that they haven't changed their mind on any single thing in that timeframe (not even liking a vegetable or trying something new?). So, with that being the case, it's a factual statement to say you've evolved as a human, as everyone does in their lifetime. You are not the same as you were however many years ago. You grew up, you changed your opinions, your tastes, or any other part of who you are, and whatever it may be that changed, it helped you evolve to the person currently standing in front of that mirror.

Being that we can all say that something about us has evolved throughout our lives, can I ask you why you may be so reluctant to have the world around you evolve? Why is it that so many people look at the world and think, I want it to be the same as it was when I was younger. While that may be nice from a nostalgic sentiment, we can't be so fixed on living in the past because we aren't there anymore and we will never be there again. We have to evolve.

We, as a society, cannot go back to the 1700s - sidebar, why would you even want to? - and think that our world would be a better place for going back to when the founders of the United States created the societal rules that people think should be in place currently, exactly as our founders meant them to be. You cannot think like our forefathers did because they did not know all that we currently know. You cannot take for granted our use of technology, resources, knowledge, education, and everything else that you have benefitted from due to the evolution of our society and preach that we have to look at our world like our founding fathers would have done when they put the constitution together. They do not live in our world and did not create their society based on our current circumstances, so stop trying to make our world fit into theirs when it's simply just not comparable.

We have to evolve. Society needs to take steps to evolve and it begins with each person simply recognizing that they evolved as an individual. Once you do that, you can allow others to evolve as individuals which will then trickle to society evolving. We will never go back to how things used to be and we should never want to. It's time to evolve.