It's Time To Adult

It's Time To Adult

I've started my life and it's the best decision I could have ever made.

139
It's Time To Adult
Thought Catalogue

Whether we like it or not, our time in college will soon come to an end. The consecutive nights of going out and toying with the line of credit our parents graciously give us are slowly disappearing. It’s going to be a rude awakening, and this is exactly why I have always wanted to stay ahead of the game.

Don’t get me wrong-- I am a college student and I still appreciate the benefits of being young. But I also know that this is my senior year, so something’s gotta give.

I took a chance about three weeks ago and applied for a full-time job. I was tired of the typical part-time college gigs (which ended up working me to death for 40 hours per week anyways) that weren’t going to benefit me after I graduated. So, I figured it was time to make an executive decision and find something that I was passionate about. I wanted to pursue my writing and background in journalism; I figured that I would be so much happier working my butt off every day for a job that allowed the opportunity to do what I love. Not to mention, I wanted to make sure that once I walk across that stage, I was walking into a guaranteed job that wouldn’t necessarily be "entry-level."

The company was amazing enough to offer me a position that just short of full-time in order to complete my schooling. And while the remainder of my summer will be spent at a desk-- I am doing what I love and I am motivated by the fact that I have begun my career at just 20 years old.

They tell us not to grow up too fast and to enjoy our youth. I get it, and I am doing that. I get my nights and my weekends just like every other student. But pool parties and alcohol aren’t going to pay my bills next year, and I want to rid my parents of any and all financial obligations to me. What is better than doing something you are passionate about every day and knowing that life will be secure once college ends? This is me enjoying my youth and taking life by the balls while I’m at it.

Being an adult can be fun-- despite what our parents often say. I work every single day with a group of creative and fun people who share the same enthusiasm for their work as I do... and I get paid for it. What could be a better way to start the next 40 years of my life?

We need to learn that, eventually, we are all going to have to grow up. A day will come when suddenly we are thrown into the real world and it’s up to us whether we sink or swim. I think this is a responsibility that’s put on our shoulders the second we graduate high school. However, most of us choose to ignore it until the day we have our college diplomas. Don’t be a sitting duck once reality decides to hit. Be proactive and explore your options. There is a supervisor, CEO or manager out there who is going to be willing to take a chance on you if you are willing to take a chance on yourself.