It’s the New Year, so Make it Worth It

It’s the New Year, so Make it Worth It

It’s not just a new year, but a new decade. Make this one the best yet.

24
It’s the New Year, so Make it Worth It

Every year I make resolutions to eat more healthy foods or go to the gym regularly, but those always fall through. This year, I'm not going to make the same goals I do every year because I want to actually make a change in my life.

To do this, I will be making guidelines for each goal I make. Fingers crossed it works!

Make a Timeline

Don’t just say you’re going to do something. Make yourself do it by a certain date, so it’s easier to track your progress.

For instance, “I want to lose 15 pounds” isn’t an easily achievable goal because it seems like a lot of work at once. If you say “I want to lose 15 pounds by May,” then you can break up the work and track your progress. This way, you would need to burn 3 pounds each month, which seems a lot easier than just losing 15 pounds.

Take Steps

Again, it’s a lot easier to achieve a goal of you break it up into smaller pieces. Make specific, smaller goals that will help you achieve the main goal.

If you made a resolution to get an A in a class, then you have to make guidelines to achieve the goal. Maybe turn in work two days before it’s due, spend at least an hour a day studying for that class, or even make a study group that meets weekly.

Make Short-Term and Long-Term Goals

I don’t know about you, but I get more motivated to do something once I see myself making progress.

Don’t just make long-term goals, but make short-term ones too. This way, you will achieve more and will be encouraged to succeed in your long-term goals.

Make Goals That You Actually Want to Achieve

If you make a resolution that you don’t want to achieve in the first place, then it will never happen.

For instance, if you want to fundraise money for a trip, but you don’t really want to go on the trip, then it will be difficult to get motivated to fundraise for it.

Make goals for things you actually want to do and that will actually improve your life.

These are some helpful tips to making goals and resolutions. These can also be applied to any goal, not just New Year's resolutions. Maybe this year I will finally be able to achieve at least one of my resolutions.

Your browser does not support the video tag. s3.amazonaws.com