It's Okay to be Overwhelmed...

It's Okay to be Overwhelmed...

Are you ready to surrender?

13
It's Okay to be Overwhelmed...

So I have never been a big sports fan, and that is pretty sad if you are a student at the University of Kentucky. We are well known for our sports teams, especially Kentucky basketball, and our fans are extremely passionate about our Wildcats. Unfortunately, I am not one of those people. I have a deep respect for such passion, however, I shall never be able to truly understand it.

The only time I typically go to these sporting events are for the purpose of doing one of the things that I love most of all, which is singing our very own "Star Spangled Banner.” Out of God's unchangeable grace, I have had the amazing opportunity to perform at a couple of the basketball games as a soloist, but most recently I had the pleasure of singing with the UK Chorale for one of the football games. It was a wonderful experience, and it was worth enduring all the screaming fans.

Whenever I sing for the games, I usually receive a couple of free tickets to sit back and enjoy the game. Although this would be considered quite a treat to many, it pains me to confess that I have not always taken advantage of this opportunity. There have been times when after hitting the last note, I peel out of that facility as fast as Speedy Gonzalez. One would say that it is a waste of tickets, but let me explain it in this way.

To me, it is like eating food at a dinner party that you do not particularly care for. You feel obligated to continue eating the Brussel sprouts only because you would consider it to be rude otherwise. Some would say that is the right thing to do, and others may have a different view. They would encourage you not to continue eating them because it would be considered as an unpleasant experience for you. You see, that is how I feel about the personal need to stay for a sporting event. Although some would see my leaving with the free tickets as an inconsiderate motive, I see it as avoiding a personal, unpleasant experience.

Shocking, is it not?

However, something came over me the other day at Commonwealth Stadium. After singing with the chorale, my good friend, Ashley, encouraged me to stay for at least the first quarter. I looked at her in jest with a blank stare. She knew of my typical routine, but nevertheless became resolved to change my mind. At first, I gently laughed at her offer, but then suddenly, something in my heart also prompted me to stay.

Together, Ashley and I took the long trip up the bleachers to our seats in the stadium. That journey in itself was unpleasant, for I had just spent thirty minutes at high intensity on the elliptical the evening before. I was beginning to regret my decision. Little did I know that God would speak truth into my life just moments later.

The game began and I was already bored. One touch down after another and, sadly, the excitement from the crowd would not rub off on me. I am beginning to believe that I possess a disorder of some sort, for it is only through God's miraculous craftsmanship that I am unable to feed off of such energy. However, despite the initial doubt, I am one who firmly believes that all things work together for the good, so I knew that good would come from this situation.

As the first quarter was starting to come to an end, I found myself scanning the crowd and taking in the atmosphere of Commonwealth. "See Blue" was definitely the first thought that came to my mind as I observed. That was truly all that my eyes could see. It was, frankly, a breath-taking site.

Eventually, my wandering eye settled upon the people who were standing on our home team's sidelines. Such people included players, coaches, officials, cheerleaders, and many others. Of course, every one of them had conformed to wearing the traditional university colors in support of Kentucky. That is, all except one.

The color caught my eye: neon, high-lighter yellow. Who was this man and what gave him the brilliant idea to defy the color scheme norm? It was not in support of the other team. I would assume that he had a particular job that required such attire, but I will never know for sure.

All I know is that the man did not fit in. As I looked at the neon maverick, God began to reveal something very important to my heart.

You see, I discovered in that moment that this is my deepest fear. This is the thing in my life that can overwhelm me the most:

The fear of not fitting in.

All of my life, I have struggled with accepting my big personality. You see, within the first few moments of meeting me, many come to find out that I am loud, outgoing, theatrical, and incredibly bold. Not only that, but I am also female. Aren't women supposed to be ‘reserved, meek, and mild?’ Well, if that is the case, something must be wrong with me...right?

I am now about to step into my twenty second year of life, and I must say that I have done quite a bit of soul-searching. I will admit that soul-searching is not easy because along the way, you make many unwanted discoveries about yourself. Although they are unwanted, they are so very important, for it is in those discoveries that you uncover the fears that have been buried deep down in your spirit. You uncover the things that have been keeping you back from doing what we have all been called to do, which is mastering in the art of being yourself.

I discovered that I have the the fear of overwhelming people. I have the fear of being ‘too much’ for others to handle. I fear of being too loud or too energetic. However, such fears are now being eradicated through the Father's perfect Love.

"There is no fear in love. But perfect love drives out fear..." -1 John 4:18

The Love of God is overwhelming. As I have grown in my relationship with Him, I am beginning to contemplate how high, wide, and deep His Love truly is for me. He created me perfectly. He created you perfectly. He did not make any mistakes in his masterpiece, and He is proud of His work. Therefore, having fear is not necessary.

Let the King of your heart overwhelm the thing that overwhelms you the most.

So, what is it that overwhelms you the most? Is it your fear of not fitting in? Is it your upcoming exam or interview? Is it your family situation? Take a hold of this fear, and allow the Father's Love to overwhelm it. Are you ready to surrender?

I praise God for leading me up those bleachers at Commonwealth Stadium. He speaks to us in the most mysterious ways. I am thankful for the unique encounter I had with Him in the sea of blue. I came to realize that although the man stuck out, it did not mean that he did not fit in.

The way I see it, I am starting to believe that we are all connected through the precious blood of Christ that was spilled at the cross...so my fear is irrelevant. Every single fear or overwhelming factor is irrelevant, for it is through God's Love that those things vanish. It is through God's Love that we can be at peace. We can rest even in the stormy seasons of life, knowing that God overwhelms all things.