It's alright to take a break from you passions
Health Wellness

It's Fine To Take Breaks, Even From The Good Things In Life

Taking a step back from something you love can be difficult, but sometimes it's needed to strengthen your passion for it.

49

When you think of stepping back from something, it can seem like you're giving up. Though you don't plan on leaving it behind, you start to wonder if you're better off without it. Sometimes a break does end up being for good, but most of the time it's just a brief period to figure out what you're wanting out of this.

I felt all of this when I left Odyssey in March.

I thought my time with the group had run its course and I was afraid that I'd never have the urge to write again. When I left, I was frustrated that I had let myself just walk away and I couldn't believe I'd let something so important slip away so easily.

It wasn't until recently that I understood why people said they 'needed a break' or felt like they needed to 'step back to see the big picture'. College really gave me a new perspective for situations like that. Being swamped with 20 different things at once was something I thought I could handle, but I have a habit of overestimating myself.

I instead brushed the stress off, only to end up breaking and losing interest in some of my passions.

What happened in my case won't necessarily happen to everyone else in this predicament. Different people can handle a different number of things at once. My point to get across is that when it comes to a breaking point, it's definitely acceptable to set some things aside for a bit to straighten your mind and priorities.

If it's something truly important, it'll be there when you're ready to pick it back up. Passions don't just spontaneously dissolve, they take time to fade away.

The most important thing to remember is that you're still finding yourself. Your interests and feelings will change with the weather, but it's important that you stay true to who you are (even if it's for a short time). Life will hurl so many different things at you from all directions, but you can't expect to survive if you don't even believe that you can handle it.

In the end, no one knows you better than yourself. Taking a break from some things can help you find what you need to succeed in life. All it takes is a small push to get going, and you'll be on the right track in no time.