Is feminism still relevant?
Politics

Yes, We Need Feminism As Much As Ever In 2019

We need feminism now more than ever.

653
https://pixabay.com/photo-3422243/

One of the most hotly debated topics in politics these days is feminism. While many people make jokes regarding the feminist culture, I think there is a deep need for the feminist movement, especially due to recent events.

Many people are against the feminist movement because they don't really understand it. But most aren't even aware they don't understand it. Consider this: women don't want to be considered superior to our counterparts, but merely treated equally. Feminism is not about superiority. However, it is known that men and women are in fact very different physically and mentally, therefore, how can we be considered equal? Equally respected. Equally paid. Equal opportunities. If more people understood this notion, the movement may be more widely accepted. Why shouldn't women be considered equal to men? It's not about being the same. It's about being equal in rights and opportunities.

Feminism has always been important because women have always been considered inferior in some way. Women have always had the "short end of the stick". No man understands our fear of walking outside after dark. No man understands our fear when another man looks at us in an unsavory way. No man understands our fear when we are catcalled or flirted with by strangers. No man understands the general fear women have to live with every day regarding their safety. It may sound exaggerated, but that's the worst part.

IT'S NOT.

It is becoming more common for girls to be kidnapped and sold into sex trafficking. Rape culture is getting worse and worse as statistics of women being sexually assault/harassed in some way are climbing rapidly. Just this month, my campus had a peeper on the loose that would scratch at the windows of women as he tried to catch a glimpse. It is more rational now than ever for women to genuinely fear for their safety. Especially if the leader of the United States degrades women and jokes about sexual assault, of course, men will begin to see it as more acceptable, even if it is unconsciously.

Feminism isn't what you see trending on Twitter. Feminism isn't throwing milk on guys, trashing guys, beating on guys, or anything involving ill will towards guys. But those are the things trending under the feminist movement and that is what people are laughing at. Do not degrade men under the face of the feminist movement.

It is supposed to be about mutual respect.

And yes, we may be "better off: overall than we were years ago because we have gained rights, but we still struggle with men seeing us as inferior purely because we are women. We still struggle with stereotypes, sexism, lost opportunities, etc. even if it may not be as frequent and may be unconscious. There is still a lot for us to fight for. We need feminism because we need to work together to gain equality. Now is not the time for women to be divided. Don't practice any of the radical feminism that is ruining the credibility of the feminist movement. We need feminism to fight the acceptance of rape culture and the degradation of women.

We need feminism so we don't need to live in constant fear of being hurt by some man. We need feminism to bring us together to collectively educate.