Is Reality TV Worth The Hype? How I’ve Been Entertained During COVID-19.

Now I know that many are skeptical of watching reality TV and believe it is not realistic or problematic. Is this true? Yes. Has that stopped me from enjoying a couple crazy TV shows? Absolutely not.

5

As the weather warms up and restrictions start to loosen, I have begun to reflect on how I spent my time during quarantine. In a lot of ways I was productive and made much needed changes to my routine and lifestyle. I was lucky enough to stay healthy throughout this experience and there were definitely times I had no idea what to do with myself. As crazy as it is, I began watching reality TV.

This new found interest first started out with the infamous Docu-Series "Tiger King" on Netflix. The show was so crazy and outlandish I couldn't stop watching it. Something about the fact that it's portrayed as real life events just makes it that much more captivating. If you are someone who is light of heart then Tiger King is something to work up to. And when you think it can't get any crazier, it does. It just keeps getting more unbelievable. Many viewers conspirize about the death/disappearance of Big Cat Rescue owner Carol Baskin's husband. Many believe she killed her husband and some believe it was an inside job, designed for him to disappear. This alone is a really heavy mystery, but this is just one plot point in many. If you want something really dark and unbelievable, hop onto Netflix and watch this show.

Once I finished Tiger King I had more of an appreciation for the crazy things in life. Sometimes the most entertaining thing doesn't have to be a fictional TV show or Sci-Fi movie, but the life right in front of you. I'm not entirely proud to admit I've become a more frequent TikTok user, and through this glorious app I learned about Big Ed from the 90 Day Fiance spin off "90 Day Fiance: Before the 90 Days". I've never been a "Bachelor/ Bachelorette" girl or watched "Keeping Up with The Kardashians", but I can tell this show is reality TV in its prime.

Before the 90s days it had a majority of diverse storylines, following men and women from around the country and even to other countries and their long distance online relationships come together or fall apart. Big Ed is one of the most well known storylines, famous for his iconic quotes and mayonnaise hair mask done to look young for his girlfriend, Rose. With Rose in the Philippines, we see Big Ed trying to find out if she is his true love through a series of laughable encounters between them. Ed is not the only outrageous character. There are possible catfishes, a Nigerian singer, and a single mother of 6 kids, all looking for love in hopes that their online partners are worth the trouble.

As funny as it is, I have a new appreciation for this form of television. While being on lockdown, it truly has been a wonderful form of entertainment. If you have always been curious about Reality TV, this is a sign to sit down with your friends (or Zoom), and start a new series together. You'll be laughing every time you watch and laughter is the best medicine, especially in these trying times.