How Negative Language Negatively Affects Your Life
Lifestyles

If You Notice You Say 'Could've,' 'Should've,' or 'I Want To,' You Might Need To Change How You Live Your Life

Do you notice you say these phrases more than five times a day?

155

If that answer was a yes! Then you might "want to" read this!

Since being in college I have noticed and picked up on myself saying these phrases often over the course of my week. Generally, it usually the suspects of this thinking come from my social and academic life either in the past, present, and future.

In the past, I regret doing a lot of things in my life from not being involved enough in high school, not going out for activities and hobbies that I was interested in, not making enough money, and not using my time usefully. Academically I and everyone else wishes that they tried harder, take more AP and dual enrollment classes so time here at college could have been a little less stressful.

Currently, you might be angry about the way the previous semester went with your GPA, maybe you didn't do as well on your test because you decided to hang out with your friends, or you contemplate going to an SI session even though you know it would be good for you but you have other homework to work on.

Looking into the future you maybe were wishing to hang out with your friends, or you are obligated to go to something while another event was going on that you actually wanted to go to, or finally not getting invited to something and feeling really bad about yourself.

Yes, there is hope for these problems!

What has happened in the past has happened and you can not regret those decisions. You see perspective is the biggest thing in these situations it is the way you look at things that will determine how you feel about them. Now, that you know you can't change the past and only learn from the past, do their mistakes change your perspectives? However, there should be no excuses when it comes to the present and resurfacing those mistakes you made in the past that are coming up again.

(Sorry if that came off rude, but it's the truth.)

If you admittedly have made those mistakes in the past, don't bring them into your current life, leave them behind you. Finally, actively make a decision in the future that is maybe different and out of your comfort zone, or something you have always wanted to do. No more "what if's" or "I want to" by planning ahead of time you finally get to dictate and be happy :)

With a different perspective, everything can change!