Is "Love Island" Worth The Hype?

Is "Love Island" Worth The Hype?

What is it about "Love Island" that keeps viewers continually coming back for more?

155
Is "Love Island" Worth The Hype?

I've never really been much of a reality TV person. Aside from loving the phenomenon that was "Jersey Shore" in fifth grade, I tend to prefer scripted shows. But when my freshman year roommate introduced me to "The Bachelor", I've been hooked ever since. Every Monday night I reluctantly watched the hilarity and ridiculousness that is "The Bachelor". And once you start, it's hard to get out.

I started "Love Island" upon the recommendation of one of my best friends, and thank god she turned me into this godsend of a show. "Love Island" is a UK reality TV show that throws 5 girls and 5 guys into a villa and couples them up. Over the next few weeks, they add more guys and girls and eliminate those who weren't chosen to be a couple. I've occasionally seen the "Love Island" hype on twitter from overseas, but I've never understood it until I began watching the new season.

It's actually really good. Not only are all the people in the villa absolute personalities, but the UK slang they use is also hilarious. Since I don't really watch British reality TV, it's so refreshing to see these different accents from all over the place. The show pushes the Islanders to make tough decisions, at the end of the day they have to share a bed with the person they've decided to couple up with. When new people enter the villa sometimes heads will turn and those relationships crash and burn quickly. The show is designed to create drama, and when it does happen it's incredible.

My favorite thing is learning the UK slang. I've learned that "crack on" means to flirt, and these Islanders do crack on quite a bit.

"Love Island" is such a delightful watch, and I've been unable to stop binging it ever since I started it. And the cherry on top? The Twitter commentary. UK Twitter really is next level funny.

Season 5 of "Love Island" UK is currently airing, the first few episodes are available on Hulu for us American fans. But, "Love Island" USA airs July 9th, on CBS. And if it's anything like the UK version, get ready for some entertaining drama.