Why Ireland Will Forever Be My Favorite Place To Visit

No matter how fast you clap, the pub musicians can always play faster

206
Emily Bentz

I am lucky enough to have traveled to multiple places in my life. I’ve been to islands in the Caribbean and Pacific, cities around the Mediterranean, and states all along the east coast of the US. However, my favorite place wasn’t an island clad in palm trees or an Italian city stuffed with history and amazing architecture. My favorite place I’ve ever visited was Ireland.

Ireland may not have amazing architecture like Rome or Florence, but it definitely has its own beauty. The landscape is absolutely stunning. There isn’t a single place, except maybe in the heart of Dublin, where you won’t see beautiful rolling hills covered in green, or incredible rock structures carved by nature. You could drive along the southern coast and find multiple places where you will feel like you are on the edge of the world.

While we were there, we visited the Cliffs of Moher. You may have seen pictures of them—massive cliffs that tower over the Atlantic. It’s one thing to see a picture, but to see them in person is a whole new perspective. It felt like I was in a fantasy world, looking out over the foggy ocean.

You may not know much about Ireland, other than it’s full of redheads, great drinking songs, and sheep. You’d be mostly right. However, while I was there, I did not see a single person with red hair. Instead, I saw people of all different hair and skin colors living there. Ireland is as diverse as the United States, and you’d definitely get to meet a variety of people while there.

If you enjoy cultural experiences, you’d also love the music. Ireland is famous for its Celtic reels and the classic dance show “Riverdance.” If you ever find yourself in Ireland, you definitely need to spend an evening at a local pub with live music and dancers.

If there is one thing Ireland is known for, it's beer. Dublin is the birthplace of Guinness, the famous stout darker than Coca-Cola. Anyone who appreciates a pint would appreciate going to the Guinness factory, where you can learn how to do the perfect pour and get a free drink fresh off the assembly line. Once you’ve tasted Guinness in Ireland, you’ll notice a difference when you get back home. The best part? The legal drinking age in Ireland is 18, so when I went there, I was old enough to try some for myself.

The Emerald Isle definitely had its quirks. We visited during an unusually hot week, where the weather reached well into the 60s. We stayed at multiple bed and breakfasts, where the owners opened their windows to let a fresh breeze through. However, we were surprised to find that the Irish don’t have screens in their windows. One local told us there were no bugs, so no reason for screens. A beautiful place with NO bugs? Where can I get a student visa?

There is so much rich history in Ireland. I've never been someone interested in castles, but after you spend the night in one that was transformed into a hotel, and climb multiple flights of stairs just to flip upside-down on your back to touch your nose to a stone, you start to gain an appreciation for them. We saw so many castles and landmarks in every city we visited, and I got to learn so much about the history of the country.

Out of all the places I’ve visited, if I could pick just one to go back to, Ireland would be it. I loved the culture, the scenery, and the people. Most vacations, you’re rushing around, trying to get to a park on time, or to a tour, or on a cruise ship. In Ireland, you can just rent a car and relax. It’s the perfect vacation, and you might even come back sporting an accent like I did.