Having an aesthetic presence on campus is something that a lot of students strive for. We want to be taken seriously, or at least taken for someone with good taste. There's never been an issue with investing in high-quality items that will make your experience more functional and exceptional, but you might find yourself tossing extra coins into the wrong fountain. It's important to take a step back and think about how you can save money by spending it the right way.

The Don'ts

There are certain items that you will use every day as a student, but that doesn't signal a need for quality. The notebook you lug around from class to class doesn't need to be leather bound. No matter how much you like the way it feels in your hands, it will eventually become disposable. Even if you like to save your notes for future reference, it won't matter how thick and glossy each page is. Save your money and grab a cheap spiral or composition notebook and don't think twice about it.

This also goes for pens/pencils/stationary. Unless you're majoring in handwritten letters, it really won't matter what you're using to put words on paper. Sure, you might like the weight of a gold-plated fountain pen, but it will run out of ink the same as the perfectly decent one that costs $10 less.

The Exceptions

Of course, there are some everyday items that you really can't get through college with unless you spend a bit more. No matter what kind of student you are, a laptop is something that shouldn't be taken lightly. A laptop can make your life as a student a million times easier if you get the right one the first time. Sure, you can save a lot by throwing down less and taking home a cheap model, but it will almost certainly give out before your academic career is over.

Building Habits

By purchasing the right item, the first time, you'll save an awful lot in the long-run. Constantly having to restock your supply of European highlighters is burning a hole in your wallet and you aren't really getting anything substantial in return. Make sure that the things you invest in will provide true value, rather than a quick luxury.

There are a lot of influencers that may make it feel necessary to buy the newest and priciest items that will make college a breeze, but they're either getting paid to tell you that or money obviously isn't an item in their case. If you've made it this far in life without a $35 satin pencil case, chances are you'll still be fine without placing an order on it tonight at three in the morning.

At the end of the day, it's your money, so spend it how you want. Just remember the little birdie telling you not to feed into every advertisement that runs through your feed.