When An Introvert Joins A Sorority

When An Introvert Joins A Sorority

My experience in the formal recruitment process and being a sorority woman.

21
When An Introvert Joins A Sorority
Unsplash

When I went into the first sorority party of recruitment as a PNM (Potential New Member), my initial thought was: "Oh, crap, I can't do this." It was too loud; there were too many people, and my senses were completely overloaded. Nevertheless, I stuck with it because I really wanted to make some new friends. In the end, I was so glad I did, because I couldn't imagine a better home for me than Pi Beta Phi. When I returned back to my dorm after the Bid Day celebrations, I was happier than I had been in weeks. But then, a sharp realization hit me: "Oh, damn, I'm going to have to do this all over again for the next three years."

Well, it's now two years later, and I still have mixed feelings about recruitment. Of course, I love meeting all of our new members. Seeing everyone so excited on Bid Day makes the long process worth it, but the process itself is still incredibly exhausting. See, the large support network that a sorority can provide is appealing to many people, but introverts especially. When I got to college, I had only one close friend who also went to Mason. My parents told me that living in a dorm on campus would make finding new friends easier, but that wasn't the case. While the people on my floor were nice enough, they mostly kept to themselves. Once I joined Pi Phi, however, everything changed. Literally the day after Bid Day, random women around campus went out of their way to smile at me, say hi, and genuinely ask how I was doing. (As it turns out, those "random" women were actually my new sisters; I just didn't know their names yet.) Having connections with people, even people I didn't know that well yet, made a campus with thousands of people feel smaller, more like home.

Although you might feel like the pressure is on you when you're going through recruitment, it really isn't. Our job as initiated sisters is to get to know you better, and therefore we'll be the ones asking most of the questions. Personally, I opened up a lot better when I didn't feel pressure to keep a conversation going. All of the questions were about my likes, interests, areas of study, etc., so I answered the questions happily and with ease. Even though I often enjoy talking, I noticed my energy began to take a nosedive after a few hours. Since introverts tend to lose energy when doing social activities, talking to women you don't know for hours can be a challenge. I recommend bringing power bars, caffeine, anything to give you energy. Don't worry, this will only last for a few days!

Another one of my concerns going through recruitment was that I'd have to go out every weekend to fit in. Crowded rooms and loud noise can trigger panic attacks and headaches for me, so if joining a sorority meant going out each Friday and Saturday night, I was out. Well, I'm here to tell you that fear was completely unfounded. While some women like to go out and socialize, there are plenty of us who enjoy staying home and having a movie marathon. Plus, the only opportunities to socialize aren't just mixers; we have plenty of sisterhood activities to help us form bonds both within our own chapter and with other sororities on campus. We've done laser-tagging, bowling, make-your-own sundae socials, and lots more. Still, these activities are optional, so you often don't have to come if you don't want to. Never feel bad about turning down a social opportunity because you need to recharge after a long day. Your sisters will understand your need for alone time. However, if you do want to go out (or even stay in) and do something fun, there's usually someone who will do it with you.

So, yes, recruitment can be scary. Going through that process will mean you'll have to push yourself out of your comfort zone and meet a whole bunch of new people. The good news is that some of those people will be awesome! And when you run home to your new sisters on Bid Day, the joy you feel inside will make those three long days seem totally worth it. You can do this. I believe in you!