Introducing the New $100 Bill

Introducing the New $100 Bill

9
Introducing the New $100 Bill

The redesigned 100 dollar bill is quite the topic of discussion since it’s release in October of 2013. Not only does the bill look completely different, it is also comprised of advanced security features.

There is a new 3-D Security Ribbon that uses a new anti-counterfeit technology. The ribbon is made of hundred of thousands of “microlenses” that transform little Liberty Bells to little 100s when the ribbon is tilted. If you tilt the bill back and forth the bells and numbers move side to side and when you tilt it side-to side, they move up and down. Another cool fact is that the ribbon is not printed on the bill, but it is woven into the paper.

Insert Image 1

Another cool feature is the somewhat hidden Liberty Bell inside a yellowish inkwell on the front. The bell changes from a copper to a green depending on your viewpoint of the bell. This effect makes it seem like the liberty bell is disappearing which is pretty cool. The Liberty Bell was definitely made use of in the new Benjamins.

Insert image 2 and 3

If you hold the bill and feel right along Ben Franklin’s shoulder, you’ll feel a raised print which is another way to prevent counterfeiting.

Insert image 4

Now let’s take a look at the back of the bill. There are a lot of different details on this that are, well, interesting. Independence Hall is now shown from the back, which was changed, once again, to deter counterfeiters.

And last but not least, the worst feature of all. The sideways 100 that looks as if it was done by a second grader who can’t work "Paint". Everything about the new bill is pretty awesome and completely counterfeit proof, but that 100. It’s just awful. To go along with my hatred of this sideways catastrophe is this lovely photomontage of President Obama letting us know how it was really made.

Insert Photo montage: Image 5, 6, 7, and 8 

insert image 9

Images courtesy of http://www.newmoney.gov/uscurrency/redesigned100.htm)