Studying Abroad

The Truth About Studying Abroad, Straight From Those Who Have Been There

Spoiler alert: you might find a few pro tips ahead.

423
Travel
Tanya Sengupta

Studying abroad is a vivid part of student life, especially during high school or college. Traveling to another country at such a tender age can impact one's life in many ways. Exposure to a new culture, customs, and people helps one shape himself/herself better. No wonder so many students go outside their country every year for the extraordinary experience!

I was really curious to know about the empiricism of the International students in this field. I did a quick interview with a few such students who have studied or are studying abroad. Let's see what they have to say. Spoiler alert: you might find a few pro tips ahead.

1. Archita Joshi (Stony Brook University)

Q: How do you describe your feelings about studying abroad for college?

A: Meeting people from different countries is a really valuable experience. Also, learning to adjust with your roommates, coping with stress, being independent, etc. is not an easy task.

2. Binayak Prasad Ray (University of Bath)

Q: What are the struggles (if any) you go through studying outside your comfort zone (your hometown)?

A: I miss the variety of food specifically and also stuff like Indo-Chinese food, the luxury of traveling in cars always, and being able to stay with family.

Q: Coming from an Eastern world country, what good things have you found about studying in the U.K.?

A: It helps to gain perspective of how the Western world functions, develop maturity and become self-sufficient, and make friends from around the world.

3. Manuel Carbajal (Stony Brook University)

Q: Tell me three things you'll miss not being at home.

A: My dogs, food, and bed.

Q: What two good things you can say about studying in the new country?

A: Different perspectives and the openness of people in arguments.

4. Sara Agarwal (Stony Brook University)

Q: What do you think you gained (not necessarily materialistic) by studying abroad?

A: I gained exposure, independence, friends, a degree (hopefully) and a home away from home.

Q: What do you miss about your hometown?

A: I miss FOOD and obviously family.

5. Sabrina Zhou (Stony Brook University)

Q: How do you feel when you go back to your hometown for breaks?

A: Well I really like how comfortable I feel when I'm back home. I guess because you feel like you belong there.

Q: How has studying abroad shaped you so far?

A: Studying abroad definitely opened up my eyes and let me experience things other people don't. I learned to be very adaptable to all circumstances and culture. Also to be content with life even if you are in a different place. I learned how to find little things in daily life to be happy about. I think I definitely learned how to embrace life and just be satisfied and content with what I have no matter where I am and what language I'm speaking.

6. Atharva Kadam (Stony Brook University)

Q: What's special about studying at a far off land for undergrad?

A: I gained a lot of experience and learned a lot because of the diversity... I also made really good friends that I hope will last a really long time.

7. Saumya Malhotra (Yale University)

Q: What's the most unexpected thing about living abroad as a college student?

A: The most unexpected part is how natural and comfortable it becomes after a while even as I feel somehow more attached to India. I've learned to cherish India's cultural peculiarities a lot more now that I'm here. Since I've made great friends here and it's the first time I'm making a life for myself without the cocoon of my family, I'm perhaps just as attached and accustomed to this life now.

8. Aakanksha Kirtane (Stony Brook University)

Q: What is one funny/good thing about getting to study at Stony Brook University after coming from a major city in India?

A: I guess the upside is being in a pollution free area for once in my life.

9. Dominic Curcio (West Chester University of PA)

Q: How was your experience (in short) of studying abroad?

A: When I studied abroad I felt like how I imagined international students at American universities feel every day. I felt lost but I wanted to wander every day. Sometimes I'd take a bus to a random stop on purpose and try to find my way home because I enjoyed exploring the safe city.

When I eventually went to Poland by myself for two and a half days my map did not work, but that's okay, because the city had so many historical or fun landmarks that if I wandered in any direction long enough I'd find something. I have studied cultures from books and from video calls with people who are in foreign lands, but seeing it in person is a completely different experience.

The difference is as big as seeing a YouTube video of a roller coaster and feeling the acceleration of the fall. The fall in this situation is the feeling of being lost but still feeling safe because if anything were to happen to me then my family can bail me out. A seatbelt would save me in the roller coaster analogy.

Q: What was one thing that you expected to experience in the new country but did not?

A: I expected to hear Patrycja Markowska and Dawid Posiadlo on the radio in the hours that I was in the bus to Poland because they are famous Polish singers but I heard Rihanna and Ed Sheeran more than them.

Looks like an array of multifarious experiences! I'm sure that studying abroad is overwhelming, too!

This article was created in the hope of helping you get a headstart on how it would feel to study abroad. There will be good times, there will be bad times. The sole motive of moving out of your comfort zone (your own country) for education is to expand your horizon of knowledge in every field possible, academic or personality-wise.

Now it's your turn to experience it yourself and let the world know. Are you ready for it?