Interview On Odyssey: Cosette Rinab

Interview On Odyssey: Cosette Rinab

You too can be a #GirlBoss in 2018!

558
Interview On Odyssey: Cosette Rinab
Cosette Rinab

By Elizabeth Brennan and Taylor Contarino

Cosette Rinab is the definition of a #GirlBoss. She attended LaGuardia High School of Performing Arts and is currently a film major at the University of Southern California in Los Angeles, California. Cosette is a triple-threat: modeling, acting, and serving as the Editor-in-Chief for the USC chapter of The Odyssey.

In addition to that, she manages to set aside time to help around her community, as volunteerism is very important to her. We had a great time getting to know a little bit more about such an inspirational woman, and we are incredibly excited to introduce you to her!

Q: How did you begin volunteering, and why do you think it is so important to give back to the community?

A: I started volunteering from a very young age, as it was an important value I was raised with. My first experience volunteering was selling lemonade in kindergarten to raise money for The Smile Train, a non-profit dedicated to providing surgeries for children born with cleft lips and palates.

Since then, I have worked actively with the American Cancer Society, Autism Speaks, Share A Meal, Kitty Bungalow, LA Promise Fund, and of course I continue to contribute to The Smile Train. What I gain from volunteering is a fulfillment that no money can buy. The way my heart fills when I see the impact my contributions have made motivate me to continue to volunteer in any ways I can. I urge everyone to find organizations they can volunteer at locally!

Q: How did you get your start in acting? Modeling?

A: I was fortunate enough to be born into the business, as my parents were both models and actors. When I was born, I was signed immediately to “test it out.” I started booking jobs for GAP, Target, and Estee Lauder before I could even walk- and the rest is history!

Q: If you could change one thing about your career trajectory, what would it be?

A: As cliché as it sounds, I would not change anything about my career trajectory! I believe every opportunity I’ve experienced has just led me to my next adventure, and I hope whatever career I ultimately pursue continues to challenge me in that way.

Q: What are the major differences between a regular high school and a performing arts high school, like the one you attended?

A: I went to LaGuardia High School of Performing Arts, which is very demanding in terms of curriculum but allows you to get a better grasp of time management. I think having to focus on regular academics in addition to your talent courses better prepares you to balance an array of interests. I’d like to think that is the reason I am able to balance so much right now!

That being said, I was always a little jealous of the “Mean Girls”-esque typical high schools. I never had a "regular" experience, and, in the moment, I envied those who did. But, in hindsight, I have a greater appreciation for the arts and dual-mission high schools.

Q: What clubs and activities were you involved in there?

A: I majored in technical theatre, studying carpentry and working theatre productions. In addition, I was a part of Key Club, co-founded a Stock and Finance Club, and was President of the Film & Beats Club. Of course on the side, I was pursuing modeling and acting. I would be changing into all-blacks to run tech on a school production and get recognized for Blue Bloods or Broad City in the locker room - my experience was definitely not normal!

Q: Have you ever experienced negative comments online or in your real life? How have you dealt with them?

A: When you have a social media presence and a decent following, you are bound to receive negative comments. While you may be receiving hundreds of positive compliments, it can be difficult to not let the negative ones bother you! My advice is to just ignore the bad comments and keep slaying! Every bad comment comes from an unhappy person behind a screen- don’t waste your time giving them attention, that’s exactly what they want. Focus on the good comments!

Q: How has USC shaped and impacted you as a person? Do you have any advice for someone who is determined to go there?

A: While it’s only been a semester, USC has greatly shaped who I am. I entered with an open mind and am involved in so much more than I ever thought I would be able to handle! On top of that, I’m in Los Angeles which definitely helps.

My advice to anybody determined to attend USC is to also enter with an open mind. If you’re applying: show the school how diverse you are in your activity involvement. If you’re already attending: try out new clubs, odd classes, and meet as many people as possible. You never know what doors it might open up!

Q: How long have you been writing for The Odyssey and what is it like being an Editor-in-Chief?

A: I began as a creator for Odyssey in June of 2017, and shortly after was named the Editor-In-Chief. It has been nearly 8 months now, and it has been so rewarding! Being Editor-In-Chief is totally not as scary as I imagined it, it gives me an opportunity to work directly with such amazing, dedicated writers.

My favorite part about being EIC is watching my writers improve and immensely grow from week-to-week. I still get a rush every time someone’s article goes live! I don’t see myself leaving Odyssey any time soon.

Q: What does "success" mean to you?

A: So many people have different complex definitions of the world “success,” but to me it is very simple. I believe you can declare success the moment you are content with your career, relationships, and wellbeing.

Q: Who are your role models?

A: My list of role models includes any woman slaying at what she does. Ava Duvernay is a huge role model of mine, as she has overcome so much to be where she is today. My mother is also my role model as she embodies everything I hope to one day be: strong, successful, and above all, positive about literally everything.

Negativity and positivity are both so contagious. There is already enough negativity in this world, being positive makes more of a difference than you may realize! I can’t count the amount of times I have been having a bad day and someone cheered me up by just being nice. That’s the kind of effect I hope to have on people as well.

Q: In that same vein, what is the most valuable piece of advice you’ve ever received?

A: I’m usually not one to check my horoscope, however I once read that the good thing about saying no sometimes is that it makes room for more yes’s. I value that as one of the strongest pieces of advice I’ve received, as I believe many are afraid of saying no. If you said yes to everything, you would simply never get anything done for yourself!

Q: What, if any, are your New Years resolutions?

A: I actually set 18 resolutions this year! Some include getting more sleep, stepping out of my comfort zone, and putting myself first more often.

Q: What is your favorite quote and why?

A: My favorite quote (as I think everyone’s should be) is by Oscar Wilde. “To live is the rarest thing in the world. Most people exist, that is all.” Interpret it as you may!

Q: If you could have one special talent that you don’t already possess, what would it be?

A: I would 100% want to be able to belt like Beyoncé. Who wouldn’t want to?

Q: East Coast or West Coast?

A: I am in love with the West Coast for obvious reasons, but New York City is my home! East Coast for the win.

Q: Where do you picture yourself in 5 years, and what is your biggest goal in life?

A: In 5 years, I hope to be traveling around the world doing what I love! I have so many passions right now, and I’m sure college is going to continue to open so many new paths for me. So, as long as I am enjoying what I am doing, I will be happy! My biggest goal is to know I am making an impact and influencing people, whether it is young girls and boys or older generations, I just want to be making a difference.

Q: Do you have any parting words of advice for aspiring girl bosses?

A: As a fellow #GirlBoss, I know it can become discouraging to try to be heard in a world dominated by male ideas. My advice is to prove everyone who doubted you wrong. Work towards what you’re passionate about, and don’t quit no matter how many obstacles you face. We’re in 2018, and girls are unstoppable!

To keep up with Cosette, you can check her out on Instagram @cosetterinab.