Finding An Internship Isn’t Just About “Getting One”

Be passionate about what you're doing.

42

Everyone gets to their junior year or a little bit before and is scrambling to find internships. Whether because of a requirement or experience, a lot of people sacrifice actual interest in what they are doing for the experience gained through an internship.

Granted, many people don't know which area they want to enter when it comes to their first job. However, that's completely normal. It's extremely important to find an internship in something you are generally interested or passionate about.

Internships are created to teach you the basic skills you will need to obtain for future jobs. Although these tasks are primarily organizing, creating lists, and some other super easy yet aggravating task, it has a point, even if you don't want to do it. These tasks are helping the company in some area, whether that's allowing your boss to get larger tasks done or just to make their life easier, it has a purpose.

While you are doing these tedious tasks, it is SO IMPORTANT you not only understand the importance behind it, but also the company's mission and goals.

Internships are a learning experience, but you can enjoy them at the same time!

I was given a great opportunity with a company in the realm I'm passionate about. All tedious tasks are much easier to accomplish knowing the people it is helping throughout the company.

Internships are also extremely hard to stay focused while working for free a lot of times. This is where the interest in what you are doing makes up for the time you are putting into this company with the tasks you are completing.

So again, be passionate about what you are doing and why. Have a reason for working there and go out of your way to find a company that you personally would support before you needed to fill a requirement.