A Thank You to All of The Beautiful and Powerful Women

Five amazing women in history, that you might have not even heard of.

91

In the honor of it being National Women's History Month, I wanted to dedicate the time to thank every single woman for their strength and relentless power. Women are beautiful and strong; they deserve our praises for the millions of things that they juggle at once. Take the time to thank all of the women in your life. Here are some amazing women in history that you may have not even known of.

1.       Florence Howe

Florence was born in Brooklyn in 1929, she had participated in the civil rights and anti-war movements of the 1960s. Florence Howe is the founder of The Feminist Press, established in 1970, where they dedicated to advancing women's rights and telling stories of unknown women that deserved to have their voices heard. After 50 plus years The Feminist Press is the longest surviving women's publishing house in the world.

2.       Ellen Ochoa

Ellen was born in Los Angles, Ochoa's grandparents had immigrated from Sonora, Mexico. In 1980 Ochoa had gone to Stanford where she obtained a master's and doctorates in electrical engineering. she was the first Hispanic woman to go up into space in 1993. Ellen Ochoa was the chief of the Intelligent Systems Technology Branch at Ames, where she supervised engineers and scientists in the research and development of computational systems for aerospace missions.

3.       Patsy Mink

Mink is a third-generation Japanese American; she was raised on the Island of Maui. After being rejected to multiple med schools she had decided to take law and attended the University of Chicago Law School. She was the first Japanese American to be elected to Congress, she had served a total of 12 years. Mink had been involved in the first federal child-care bill, the Elementary and Secondary Education Act of 1965, a lawsuit which led to changes to presidential authority under the Freedom of Information Act in 1971, and Mink was also the co-author of the Title IX Amendment of the Higher Education Act, which prohibits sex-based discrimination in schools.

4.       Sarojini Naidu

Sarojini Naidu was a poet, activist, and politician. She fought for civil rights, women's emancipation, and anti-imperialism, and was apart of India's battle for independence from Great Britain. She was a follower of Gandhi and believed in his idea of swaraj. Naidu had become the first President of the Indian National Congress. Sarojini Naidu had also traveled all over the world talking about women empowerment, nationalism, and social welfare.

5.       Madonna Thunder Hawk

Madonna Thunder Hawk is a member of the Oohenumpa band of the Cheyenne River Sioux River Tribe. She is a prominent Indigenous activist; Thunder Hawk is one of the founders of Women of All Red Nations and Warrior Women Project. The organization had focused on abuse, children, family rights, political prisoners, and threats to the indigenous land. The Warrior Women Project focused on helping indigenous activists to share their stories.