Interesting Facts About Long Island

Interesting Facts About Long Island

We are known for more than pizza and bagels.

6689
Interesting Facts About Long Island
myimprov. com

Everyone knows that Long Island is great for its beaches, endless pizzerias, as well as bagel and deli shops within every mile, but there is more to the island. Here are some facts about LI.

1. Long Island is the most populated island in the U.S.

If you've ever driven down the expressway during rush hour, it is clear how populated LI is.

2. Montauk Point Lighthouse is the oldest lighthouse in New York State

If you've never been to this lighthouse, I'd definitely recommend it. Especially climbing to the top to see some incredible views of the ocean.

3. Both Queens and Brooklyn which are boroughs of NYC, are located on the west end of Long Island.

The term Long Island is usually reserved for just Nassau and Suffolk County.

4. LI is 118 miles long and 23 miles wide at its most distant point.

This is bigger than the state of Rhode Island.

5. Glen Cove was the first community on LI to have telephone service.

6. Deep Hollow Ranch located in Montauk, was the first working ranch in the U.S.

Who knew Montauk had other significant landmarks other than the light house.

7. The Amityville Horror House, which is well known from the movies, books, and legends, had to have its address changed multiple times since the 1970's.

Even as a native Long Islander I have still yet to visit this infamous house.

8. Suffolk Theater in Riverhead was originally known as "the Radio City Music Hall of Long Island.

Good thing this name was changed because I cannot see there being enough room in NY for two Radio City Music Halls.

9. There over 120 public school districts on Long Island operating over 650 individual schools. There are also 6 public universities and over a dozen private colleges.

This just goes to show people how big LI really is, this is a lot of schools located throughout the island.

10. In 2013, 8 of 7/11's top locations by sales were all located in Suffolk County.

This is no surprise considering you can't drive more than 2 miles before hitting any number of 7/11's