Instagram Sucks

Instagram Sucks

But I'm still not leaving it!

33
Instagram Sucks
Photo by Jakob Owens on Unsplash

On Instagram, I feel invalidated every day because I figure out I'm missing a new trend. I don't have the time or the money to keep up with which style of Doc Martins are going to make everyone feel validated and unique until a new one overshadows them. I'm assuming the Oxford style shoes are going to become popular soon because Emma Chamberlain has been wearing them, and where she goes the girlies follow. Personally, I hate that because I used to wear those freshman year of high school and I got rid of them because my friends said they made me look like a pilgrim.

Apart from my genuine lack of interest in the Instagram aesthetics, I'm tired of seeing people post pictures of themselves for the sole purpose of being praised. I'm tired of feeling invalid because I don't look good in things that other girls do. I'm tired of seeing my friends hanging out and having fun without me. Honestly, I'm just tired of the inauthenticity.

Instagram can be fun! I love seeing people post the views from their hikes, or share the books that they're enjoying, or advocating for causes that they care about! But the line has become so blurred for many young adults and we've begun to use social media as the basis for who we are. We have to put our whole personality on the internet, and it feels like a constant contest of who can be funnier, smarter, or wear the most unique outfit. Quirky culture never really went away since it started a few years ago, it simply underwent a rebranding. What you post (or don't post) becomes a symbol of who you truly are. If you post about human rights every day, you're "socially aware". If you don't repost the new song that your super obscure favorite band just released, how is everyone supposed to know that you're different? Even the trend of making instagram casual became curated to what our audience wants to see. At the end of the day, I just hate that Instagram exists solely to cater to other people. I think that more people, myself included, need to start utilizing their social media platforms to speak on things they care about, and add a little bit of depth to something that has become shallow and competitive. If you like airplanes, POST AIRPLANES!!! Tell your friends about this dope new airplane you read about the other day. If you like cats, literally post 6 pictures in a row of the cat you saw at the pet store the other day and almost bought. No, there's nothing inherently wrong with posting pictures of ourselves, but in my opinion the intention behind it can become bad quickly. Are you posting pictures of yourself because you liked your outfit, or are you posting it so everyone will comment to boost your ego for a solid 5 minutes? Instagram used to be so fun!! We should make it fun again!!