Penn Badgley plays the role of a psycho stalker bookstore manager. One day he meets an attractive woman named Beck when she visits the store, and he instantly falls in love - or whatever.
My favorite part about this show is that before this show, Penn played the role of Dan in "Gossip Girl." For anyone who hasn't seen "Gossip Girl" before, the rest of this paragraph is a ~spoiler alert~ so skip it if you need to. Anyways, Dan technically stalked many of his friends and classmates to run the Gossip Girl website. So ironically he ends up playing the role of another stalker in love with a blonde, but in "You," he's a psycho.
This show is mostly from the thoughts of Penn's character, Joe, and gets you in the mind of a psycho stalker. Although the show is very dark, Joe and Beck's quotes on love and dating are actually super relatable.
3. "It's a miracle love ever happens...if it's not a myth" - Joe
Still trying to figure that one out.
4. "You know better but you can't stop because everyone needs someone" - Joe
How many times have you made the wrong decision because you're lonely?
5. "I'm a maybe and you're still screwing other people?" - Joe
Today's hook up culture basically. Thanks Tinder.
6. "Thinking you're right for someone and you're not" - Joe, "I got about a dozen of those" - Beck
Shoutout to the exes!
7. "Let's face it, I am no good for you" - Beck
It's crazy because Beck is way better than Joe, but because she's a girl, she's conditioned to constantly think that she's not good for the guy she is interested in.
9. "Love yourself. Ghost him already" - Peach, Beck's friend
Ghosting someone who cares about you is bad. Ghosting someone who you care about who obviously doesn't give a shit about you? That's self-love.
10. "Maybe this is what you need to find your inner badass" - Beck
In this episode, she was referencing alone time. I personally couldn't agree more. Alone time is necessary to truly dig into your mind and figure out what you actually want in life.
11. "You're barking up the wrong tree if you think I'm going to sit here and validate that man" - Beck
Preach. Ladies you do not need to accept and forgive men who have done you wrong.
12. "Every guy I try to date is a mess or trying to be something he thinks he should" - Beck
I'd say this is pretty accurate.
13. "But they seem happy, according to Facebook" - Beck
You know what they say, believe everything you see on the internet!
14. "How am I supposed to be great with you being gone if you're actually gone?" - Joe
Joe was okay without Beck in his life, but he regularly checked up on her Facebook anyways. After she deleted her accounts he could no longer do that and he started to freak out. When you know what someone is up to, it's easier to be okay without them because it's like you're not missing out on anything. The hard part is learning to be okay with knowing nothing about their life.
The first season of "You" is dark, twisty, and only 10 episodes long. Perfect for syllabus week binge watching!