Top 10 Beautiful Words And Phrases From Around The Globe

Beautiful non-english words and phrases and sayings popular around the world.

363
https://www.pexels.com/photo/person-tossing-globe-1275393/

I created a survey and asked people what their favorite non-English phrases along with their meaning were and these were the responses. Thank you to everyone who responded. Enjoy!

1. Ukranian- "не бійся жити"

Pronounced, "ne biysya zhyty", this is a phrase that means, "Don't be afraid to live."

2. Urdu- "میں اڑنا سیکھ رہا ہوں بہادر بھی بن کے دکھاؤں گا"

This phrase translates to, "I am learning to fly, I will show you how to be brave too."

3. German- "Lebenslust"

A word that translates to "a thirst for life"

4. Afrikaans- "Boer Maak ‘n Plaan"

Translates to "farmer makes a plan". This is a popular phrase among South Africans to encourage someone with a problem to find a solution- a solution is available if you go about things in the right way.

5. Polish- "znajdź deogę lub ją zeób"

Loosely translates to "I will find a way or I will make one"- an encouraging phrase meant to empower and push personal achievement.

6. Farsi- "قربونت برم"

Pronounced "Ghorboonet Behram", this affectionate Iranian phrase is often used to express love for someone, such as the love a parent expresses for a child. It translates literally to, "may I be sacrificed for you."

7. Dutch- "voorpret"

A word whose direct english translation is "anticipation", this word is used to express excitement before an event like "before fun".

8. Persian-"جات خالیه"

Pronounced "jot kholiye", this is a common Iranian phrase meaning "you were missed". It is said when talking about an event that was very enjoyable, but the person you were talking to was not present; you are obligated to tell them that they were missed in the situation. This way, they know you were thinking of them, and that it would have been better if they had been there.

9. Chinese- "弱水三千只取一瓢"

This is a romantic phrase, pronounced, "Ruò shuǐ sānqiān zhǐ qǔ yī piáo." It translates to, "out of three thousand pitchers of water, I'm only taking one spoonful." This is meant to say, there are a lot of people in the world but I am content with only one other person.

10. Swahili- "harambee"

Translates to "lets all pull together." This word is used to describe the Kenyan tradition of community self-help events. It is also the official motto of Kenya and appears on the coat of arms.