An Insider's Perspective On Greek Life

An Insider's Perspective On Greek Life

What Greek life really has to offer.

2678
Halle Blum

In our world today, the media tends to scrutinize Greek life at universities. The problem isn’t Greek life itself, rather the activities that come along with being a member of this community. Whether it’s dangerous hazing, drug use, out-of-control parties, underage drinking or even sexual assault; all of these things are thought to be a huge part of being a member of Greek life.

Why is it that Greek life receives such a negative connotation? Well, when good things happen in this community, they are commended internally, but these benefits are almost never publicized to the world outside of Greek life.

Like many, I am a member of a sorority, but I did not join for a social life or for crazy parties. Being a member of this community is much more than excessive drinking, hazing rituals, and other things that often don’t even happen in our tight-knit world.

Being in a sorority has taught me things I could not have learned elsewhere. Here are three major aspects of Greek life that are important to all members of this community.

Philanthropy

Being a member of the Greek community has strengthened the importance of philanthropy in my life. Although I was always engaged in charity work through high school, after joining Greek life, my commitment level was enhanced. Being in this community, you are always encouraged to partake in activates offered by other chapters or other members of Greek life.

This is how I found myself becoming a member of Go Blue Wear Pink: a campus organization that raises funds for breast cancer. Without Greek life, I wouldn’t have found this charity that is so prominent in my life.

Social skills

When going through recruitment, you talk to many people about various topics. Although to the outside eye, this may look like a materialistic process, the conversations I had during rush are ones that enhanced my ability to interact with others. Through rush, I was able to connect with girls about things we shared in common and learn new and interesting things about our culture and my school.

If I wasn’t in a sorority, I would have never been able to learn how to have productive conversations with people who started as complete strangers and end up with some significance to my life.

Friendship

The cliché part that comes with joining a sorority is “making friends that will last a lifetime.” When joining a sorority, I knew this was the expectation behind “sisterhood” but never really imagined the extent to which it would happen to me.

On bid day last year, I met girls who I shared many things in common with. Now, over a year later, I am confident that these girls will be my future bridesmaids, best friends and forever my sisters. Living in the house only increases these feelings.

Being surrounded by 74 girls who care about you and your general well-being is one of the most comforting feelings in the world. I know that because of my sorority, I have a support system that will be there for me at my highest of highs, and lowest of lows. Without my Greek affiliation, I would’ve never been able to meet the people I consider to be my family.

When considering if you should join Greek life, exclude what you’ve heard on the news or from your parents or from anyone who has not been a part of this community. Being a part of this has opened my eyes to new experiences, friends, and memories that I wouldn’t have found elsewhere.

Greek life is more than hazing stories in the news or intoxicated teenagers; it has molded me into the person I am today, and I am forever grateful for my experience in this community.