Could Insatiable Be The Most Dangerous Show On Netflix For Young Women

'Insatiable' Is One Of The Most Dangerous Shows On Netflix For Young Girls

The last thing young girls need is yet another reason to believe they're defined by the way they look.

60

I try my best to keep from forming opinions on things I'm not well versed in. I don't build biases against movies I haven't seen, or books I haven't read, or people I haven't met, or shows I haven't watched. I do what I can to keep an open mind so that I leave room to be pleasantly surprised.

That being said, I haven't seen "Insatiable." For minutes I hovered over the 'play' button, debating whether I should give it a chance. I watched the trailer several times, trying hard to build a case for it. I listed the pros and cons and almost decided to just watch the first episode, because what's the worst that could happen?

In the end, I decided against it.

So no, I haven't seen "Insatiable," but I already know that I never will.

Joining the infamous "13 Reasons Why" on the ever-growing list of controversial Netflix shows, "Insatiable" offers very little to nothing to its young viewers. It's the classic, age-old trope of an unpopular teenage girl who was bullied and made fun of until she got significantly hotter after having her jaw wired shut for months. With her new-found confidence, she sets out for revenge against all the classmates who wronged her.

I have no problem with a little revenge body. I admire and applaud women (and men) who decide to better themselves and achieve their dream bodies. I think that it's beautiful and empowering and inspiring.

What I do have a problem with, however, is the flawed portrayal of how to achieve a better and healthier lifestyle. I have a problem with teaching young girls that the only reason to pursue this lifestyle is to get back at others. I have a problem with teaching young people that the best way to prove others wrong is through your looks.

When I was 13 years old, my orthodontist told me that my jaw was slightly off-center. It wouldn't be a problem for me, he promised, and it wouldn't be painful or uncomfortable. I only had to worry about a sore jaw every once in a while and teeth that don't line up perfectly. It didn't require surgery and could probably be fixed with more years of braces, but he didn't believe that it would be necessary.

My first question wasn't one of reassurance or clarification. It was: "Would you have to wire my mouth shut?"

In my mind, it was the perfect solution to a problem I was too young to even understand. Never did it cross my mind that having your mouth wired shut would be painful. Never did it cross my mind that it was a surgical procedure. The first and only thing I could focus on was that if I had my mouth forcibly out of commission, I wouldn't have to be a size 12 anymore.

I wish I could say that after he reiterated that he wouldn't perform an unnecessary procedure I dropped it and moved on. But for months, and even years after, I would over exaggerate the ache, lying about how it was getting worse. I would propose getting it fixed a million and one ways. I would bring it up constantly. I would go home and Google reasons it would be beneficial. I hoped that one day he would give.

This went on for so long that eventually, I stopped. Not because I was over it, but because I was done with orthodontics and didn't have access to him anymore. So I got over it and settled on my reality.

I didn't have a show like "Insatiable" back then. The unhealthy obsession I had with looking a certain way and the ways in which I was willing to go about it weren't in any way justified. I had pulled those ideas out of my own mind, and even with a number of people telling me it was wrong, I still managed to hold on.

Had I had access to a show like "Insatiable," no one would have been able to convince me otherwise. I would be watching my sick fantasy not only become a reality, but I would watch it work. I would watch the girl get the guy and the bullies eat their words. And in my mind, I would tell myself that that's what I needed. I needed to look like that, and I would have done anything to get it.

Not because it was healthy. Not for myself. But because I had a score to settle.

"Insatiable" is teaching young girls that the only way to prove yourself is by looking a certain way and that it's okay to use unconventional methods. It isn't teaching young girls the benefits of eating right and taking care of our bodies for ourselves. It isn't fostering self-care and love, it's fostering a hatred for themselves that they're now in a rush to correct.

"Insatiable" will teach young girls that they are nothing more than what they look like.