You Will Always Remember A Teacher Who Impacted Your Life

To My English Teacher, Thank You For Teaching Me To Be The Best Version Of Me

A teacher's words will always give you the confidence and dignity.

391
Donasia Harry

Someone once said, "Good teachers are the reasons why ordinary students dream to do extraordinary things." If there is anything, I learned through years of high school torture, there was one person who has made my high school time, a reason for hope. The reason why I would never forget this woman is that she has shaped me into someone I can become without the boundaries. Her name is Jessica Torrence.

Going into high school, I've heard plenty of rumors about her. I heard she was mean, I heard she was nice, and if there is one thing I hear, it was that she did not like underclassmen! When I first heard about her, I was a sophomore Automatically, I was not on her good side. Throughout my sophomore year, we never spoke.

Then it was my junior year, and we've officially met. I remember I was volunteering in the cafeteria, and I was reading a book of poems, by Langston Hughes. She looked at the book, and she knew it was mine because my ID was right next to it. "Hey. Is this yours?" she asked. I shook my head in agreeance. She asked me was this my favorite writer, and it was and still is. I told her about the project I was doing based on the book in my intensive reading class. She told me to bring my project when it was finished. When I finished, she was in awe. However, when I told her I got a "B," she was a little disappointed because she thought I deserved a better grade. I have to say, if it wasn't for Langston Hughes, I probably wouldn't have a connection with Ms. Torrence.

Let's fast forward to senior year. I was in her class, where we were doing an experiment in a student-led classroom. One of the lessons was the Harlem Renaissance, which is history based on African-Americans, leading the way in an artistic manner. At first, I thought I could never do that in my life. I wanted to lead the way, but during this time, I was scared. We kind of got into a heated argument, then she bolted out, "The reason why you're so scared of the world and making a change, is because you're black." At first, I was offended, then I thought about it, and she was right. Why couldn't I make a change? Also, because I am black, I have the right to make change through my art, just like the Harlem Renaissance.

Then there was graduation. Where you say goodbye and thank you to everyone who has impacted your life. I remember when I graduated, she told me "Good job! I'm so proud of you!" However, just because my diploma said I was done, doesn't mean she was done with my life. Throughout my life, she has taken me places I thought I would never go to. Ms. Torrence took me to an African American Read-In, where poetry was based on African Americans. She also took me to see "Black Panther," which was an unforgettable experience!

You ask, whatever happened to her? Well, we keep in contact, and she's a student at Florida A&M University as a law major. I could never be prouder of who she is, and what she's accomplished in my life, and other students' lives. Ms. Torrence is one of the most amazing people I've ever met. I could never tell her the gratitude I have for her impacting my life. If it wasn't for her, I wouldn't have my goals to be a writer in New York City. To Ms. Torrence, I hope you impact someone else's life, just as you impact mine!